• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misapplied child support payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHAWTY719

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADO

My Ex-husband has been on Worker's Comp. He recently got a small settlement of $8000. After legal fees, He received roughly half of that. However, child support had a lien on the money for current order and arrears. Child support received the funds and applied the full amount to another child support order and nothing to mine. My case comes first because it was entered first and I have his oldest child. Child Support says they can't take the money back. Do I have any options? or recourse of action I can take?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADO

My Ex-husband has been on Worker's Comp. He recently got a small settlement of $8000. After legal fees, He received roughly half of that. However, child support had a lien on the money for current order and arrears. Child support received the funds and applied the full amount to another child support order and nothing to mine. My case comes first because it was entered first and I have his oldest child. Child Support says they can't take the money back. Do I have any options? or recourse of action I can take?

Maybe the other mom filed for a lien first - did you ask that question?

SHAWTY719

Child support automatically did the lien because his SS# is flagged by the Federal and State. He is $20,000 in arrears for my case.

Proserpina

Child support automatically did the lien because his SS# is flagged by the Federal and State. He is $20,000 in arrears for my case.

That didn't answer my question.

It's possible that other Mom was able to get a lien attached to the amount before YOUR lien was filed.

Either way, you really need an attorney to help you dig through the mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">