• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed filing of taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tesen

Address the tax problem with the locality. It is not something that is likely to interfere with your immigration process so long as you can show you are taking care of your tax responsibilities. As a general matter, ICE looks in particular to federal tax issues, so problems with the IRS are more likely to be a problem than state or local taxes. That said, you want to be in compliance with all your tax obligations to ensure no hiccups with your naturalization.
I've confirmed I am all paid up and accurate with the IRS and state (one late filing here due to an issue we should have caught) and I will be getting documentation to confirm I am in good standing with both IRS and state. Once the locality is resolved will ask for documentation also and go find an immigration lawyer and map a path forward.

From now on professional tax services for us to make sure we have everything filed properly each year.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

Tes

LdiJ

Thank you. I intend to see legal counsel and get the late filings completed. I've already checked with the IRS that I am current for prior years and we are square with the state (one late filing out of 17 years of on time, hopefully that helps!).

Tes
Seriously, a single year of one late state filing after 17 years of on time filing is not a major issue...particularly since you can easily prove that you had a state reject (from an on time filing) that you were unaware that you had.

quincy

Seriously, a single year of one late state filing after 17 years of on time filing is not a major issue...particularly since you can easily prove that you had a state reject (from an on time filing) that you were unaware that you had.
Seriously, LdiJ, this is too important an issue for your guesses.

The links provided earlier make it clear that failure to pay taxes (federal, state or local) can be a problem (a crime of moral turpitude).

tesen is on the right track now to resolve the tax problems. He will need a signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office stating payments have been made or have been arranged, and tesen will need documentation showing the current tax status.

Please don't try to divert him from his current correct path with uninformed assurances.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The local filings are much less of an issue than you think. Yes, you have to take care of them or you will end up with local problems, but its really, really common for people to not understand that they need to file them or make mistakes in doing so. Our practice has a lot of Ohio tax clients who have had hiccups with local taxes. Your local taxes were actually paid, you just didn't do the return to demonstrate that the payment was accurate.

I think that its highly unlikely that immigration will even know that you have had local tax hiccups.
He is responsible for reporting any "hiccups". Good grief. QUIT posting when you are this clueless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">