• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Unemployment funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VietMike85

Your post made me wonder what the time period for escheating this type of property would be and it appears to be 3 years. Since we're not even at the 3 year point yet, I went back and read the OP more closely. I now think I understand what the OP is saying. He had a debit card account for unemployment funds (or other state-distributed funds) administered by BofA in the past, but that debit card account was closed as being inactive. The state then tried to deposit more funds into that account, but BofA reversed those transactions because the account was closed.

I stand corrected and I now agree that the OP will need to keep dealing with the state unemployment department and not the unclaimed property department.
You nailed it. I had the option of receiving funds via debit card with BofA. Shortly after I switched to direct deposit, but those 7 weeks were paid to a card that was never given access to me. When I eventually identified this was the issue BofA had told me the card was closed due to inactivity and the "funds returned to sponsor" which lists 19 Staniford St 5th Fl, Boston, MA as the address. I called that building and there is no unemployment/financial department, so all of the employees just recommend that I call the PUA callcenter and then I have to go through a standard process of providing all of my personal information to verify, to inevitably be told "there's nothing i can personally do, i don't have access to financial information"

I called every business day for 4 months in 2020, then a couple times a week, to once a week in 2021 and 2022. I have concluded that I am insane for trying to experience a different result. I also wonder if I should be looking for another strategy to crack this. Who else can I call/contact?

Last edited:

quincy

You nailed it. I had the option of receiving funds via debit card with BofA. Shortly after I switched to direct deposit, but those 7 weeks were paid to a card that was never given access to me. When I eventually identified this was the issue BofA had told me the card was closed due to inactivity and the "funds returned to sponsor" which lists 19 Staniford St 5th Fl, Boston, MA as the address. I called that building and there is no unemployment/financial department, so all of the employees just recommend that I call the PUA callcenter and then I have to go through a standard process of providing all of my personal information to verify, to inevitably be told "there's nothing i can personally do, i don't have access to financial information"

I called every business day for 4 months in 2020, then a couple times a week, to once a week in 2021 and 2022. I have concluded that I am insane for trying to experience a different result. I also wonder if I should be looking for another strategy to crack this. Who else can I call/contact?
Although $4,869 is not an insignificant amount of money, it is probably not enough to justify the cost of hiring an attorney. Again I suggest you call the Mass Legal Help organization. If they can’t personally help you, they can probably direct you to someone or some entity that can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">