• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom being sued, help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bartok

What is the name of your state?NC
My mom is being sued by a group of attornys for a credit card debt from aria visa. She owes around $6000 with original charges and interest. She has a date in july for abritration. She is out of work and drawing unemployment right now and has no assetts. Can anyone tell me what might happen so i can help her out?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bartok said:
What is the name of your state?NC
My mom is being sued by a group of attornys for a credit card debt from aria visa. She owes around $6000 with original charges and interest. She has a date in july for abritration. She is out of work and drawing unemployment right now and has no assetts. Can anyone tell me what might happen so i can help her out?

My response:

There's nothing you can do to help her out - - except drive her to the Arbitration.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bartok said:
but what happens?

My response:

They say why she owes the money, and prove their case. Then, the burden shifts to your mother to prove why she doesn't owe the money. Then your mother starts crying as they take her into custody, and put her in prison until she pays.

IAAL

B

bartok

can she really go to jail? what happens if she doesnt show up?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bartok said:
can she really go to jail? what happens if she doesnt show up?

My response:

That's a different story. If she doesn't show up, they'll cancel the Arbitration and undoubtedly forget the whole thing. She'll be just fine - - she'll be able to get another credit card, charge thousands and thousands of dollars in products and services, and never have to pay what she owes.

Everybody does it. I NEVER pay my credit card bills. I use the bills to start my fireplace. That's why our economy sucks!

Ain't life grand?

IAAL

Ladynred

IAAL, don't tell her that her mother can go to prison for a friggin debt !!!

There is NO DEBTOR'S PRISON in the US, not since the late 1800's !! Not paying a debt is NOT a crimina offense.

Bartok, if your mother has been sent for arbitration then it absolutely will NOT go away if she doesn't show up ! Credit card arbitration is rigged, 99.9% in favor of the creditor and these so-called 'unbiased' arbitrators are ALL in the creditor's hip pockets, the consumer almost can't win.

The arbitration award, in and of itself, means diddly squat. However, they can then take that award to the courts and have it entered as a judgment against her, then she has a REAL problem.

Now, the big question - when did your mother last pay the ORIGINAL CREDITOR on this account ? NC has a VERY short 3 year statute of limitations and if it was more than 3 years ago that she last paid, she has a great defense against the arbitration AND any lawsuits/judgments.

I can direct you to a NC lawyer who handles consumer protection cases, he practices out of Raliegh.

Who is this 'group of lawyers' that's after your mom ??

B

bartok

NC

thank you so much for your reply, it really means alot to know that there is good people out there willing to help others.
The last payment made to the original was in 6/01. she recieved the first lettter from the lawyers in june this yr. I think the group is Tulley out of charolette. i would love for you to tell me who i can contact about this..thank you so much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">