• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

month to month lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGA

What is the name of your state? NJ

I've been living in my apartment for a year and my lease expires at the end of this month. Last month, I asked the landlord if I could go month-to-month when my lease expires because I'm trying to buy a house, and he said that was fine and a lease would come in the mail. The lease came the other day and is a little confusing. It says if I continue to occupy the premises after March 31, I do so as a month-to-month tenant. But at the bottom, it gives 2 options under Tenant's Response to Owner. It says I can either renew for a year or not renew and leave at the end of March. There is no option for month-to-month. Where it says that the lease terminates on March 31, 2006 I crossed it out and wrote "month-to-month." I also circled the part that says "It says if I continue to occupy the premises after March 31, I do so as a month-to-month tenant." and put my initials next to it. Is this sufficient? I had also thought of not signing this lease at all and just writing a letter stating I am staying month-to-month after March 31, 2005. I've done that at other apartments I've lived in. Which is the best course of action? Thanks.

HomeGuru

CGA said:

I've been living in my apartment for a year and my lease expires at the end of this month. Last month, I asked the landlord if I could go month-to-month when my lease expires because I'm trying to buy a house, and he said that was fine and a lease would come in the mail. The lease came the other day and is a little confusing. It says if I continue to occupy the premises after March 31, I do so as a month-to-month tenant. But at the bottom, it gives 2 options under Tenant's Response to Owner. It says I can either renew for a year or not renew and leave at the end of March. There is no option for month-to-month. Where it says that the lease terminates on March 31, 2006 I crossed it out and wrote "month-to-month." I also circled the part that says "It says if I continue to occupy the premises after March 31, I do so as a month-to-month tenant." and put my initials next to it. Is this sufficient?

**A: only if L agrees in writing.
I had also thought of not signing this lease at all and just writing a letter stating I am staying month-to-month after March 31, 2005. I've done that at other apartments I've lived in. Which is the best course of action? Thanks.
**A: talk to L first.

ENASNI

yeah

What he said.

sorry still in Godfather mode... if you didn't get my earlier posts.

well forget you.. :cool:

BL

CGA said:

I've been living in my apartment for a year and my lease expires at the end of this month. Last month, I asked the landlord if I could go month-to-month when my lease expires because I'm trying to buy a house, and he said that was fine and a lease would come in the mail. The lease came the other day and is a little confusing. It says if I continue to occupy the premises after March 31, I do so as a month-to-month tenant. But at the bottom, it gives 2 options under Tenant's Response to Owner. It says I can either renew for a year or not renew and leave at the end of March. There is no option for month-to-month. Where it says that the lease terminates on March 31, 2006 I crossed it out and wrote "month-to-month." I also circled the part that says "It says if I continue to occupy the premises after March 31, I do so as a month-to-month tenant." and put my initials next to it. Is this sufficient? I had also thought of not signing this lease at all and just writing a letter stating I am staying month-to-month after March 31, 2005. I've done that at other apartments I've lived in. Which is the best course of action? Thanks.
The best course of action would be to clarify things with your landlord .
The rest of the provisions would still be agreed upon by signing it , as was in prior lease , except it would be month to month agreement .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">