• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

more help than advice :)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ENortham

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I'm interning at the law firm of a family member this summer and he has asked me to prepare a legal memo to give to his city council about recommending an ordinance to "amortize" a "nonconforming use." This is terribly confusing to me, as I am only in my junior year of college and have not taken any real estate/municipal law classes. I have done a lot of research on Premise and have found a lot of information and cases supporting the amortization of a nonconforming use. Basically, the town doesn't like a junky lawn care store on the main street (and it is classified as a nonconforming use but nothing can be done without an ordinance to amortize it-at least that's what I have gathered)...and I know this is a stretch for these forums but I don't know the proper format to write a legal memo and there are many different formats I have found through my google-ing. I'm not sure what to do with the information I have found thus far..and if I will need to include citings from the MD Constitution/Code or just what has been cited in the cases Any bored lawyers feel like helping out an intern? :confused:

BelizeBreeze

ENortham said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I'm interning at the law firm of a family member this summer and he has asked me to prepare a legal memo to give to his city council about recommending an ordinance to "amortize" a "nonconforming use." This is terribly confusing to me, as I am only in my junior year of college and have not taken any real estate/municipal law classes. I have done a lot of research on Premise and have found a lot of information and cases supporting the amortization of a nonconforming use. Basically, the town doesn't like a junky lawn care store on the main street (and it is classified as a nonconforming use but nothing can be done without an ordinance to amortize it-at least that's what I have gathered)...and I know this is a stretch for these forums but I don't know the proper format to write a legal memo and there are many different formats I have found through my google-ing. I'm not sure what to do with the information I have found thus far..and if I will need to include citings from the MD Constitution/Code or just what has been cited in the cases Any bored lawyers feel like helping out an intern? :confused:
although we almost never help someone do their own work, at least you're wanting to do a good job.

so, read and download the following guide:GUIDE

And read the following: MEMO

and this should give you a breath of good examples and interesting reading ;)
http://texscience.org/reform/torture/

ENortham

I know as I was typing it I knew I sounded like I didn't want to put the effort in...but I had not the slightest clue from google how to properly write a legal memo and honestly I'm scared to ask my boss...so many thanks to you :D :)

Ohhh you snuck in the Yoo memo! Hopefully I won't be writing anything like that in the near future!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">