• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother committing insurance fraud stealing my child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Coming late to this party but I have rarely if ever seen such an entitlement mentality or such a spoiled little brat. My hands are ITCHING to turn this little monster over my knee.

Ladyback1

:eek::eek::eek:

Brand-new information!?!? To YOU. :mad:

Read more, post less. You don't even know the basics. Please, for the posters.
really? Thanks for proving the very point I've been trying to make. I'm not part of the "cool" crowd so it's fair game when I say something that you don't like!

There are 4 states and Puerto Rico that are up to 21 w/o special provisions. So, 21 is outside the norm.

I didn't know. I admit I don't know everything. I don't try to know everything, or act like I know everything.

Silverplum

really? Thanks for proving the very point I've been trying to make. I'm not part of the "cool" crowd so it's fair game when I say something that you don't like!

There are 4 states and Puerto Rico that are up to 21 w/o special provisions. So, 21 is outside the norm.

I didn't know. I admit I don't know everything. I don't try to know everything, or act like I know everything.
It has nothing to do with your perception of "cool."

It's everything to do with you jumping onto threads and offering nothing to the poster but your own questions. If you don't know about NY CS, why pipe up? Just read and learn, for the sake of the poster.

Ladyback1

It has nothing to do with your perception of "cool."

It's everything to do with you jumping onto threads and offering nothing to the poster but your own questions. If you don't know about NY CS, why pipe up? Just read and learn, for the sake of the poster.
So, other's can ask questions for clarification, but when I do it's not ok?

And as it was finally determined it wasn't a child support issue in the first place.

Silverplum

So, other's can ask questions for clarification, but when I do it's not ok?

And as it was finally determined it wasn't a child support issue in the first place.
What others? The OP can ask lots of questions.

You sure enjoyed bashing the OP in this thread. :cool: Hypocrite, much?

Put yourself out there some more, we'll sand you into someone useful.

LdiJ

Coming late to this party but I have rarely if ever seen such an entitlement mentality or such a spoiled little brat. My hands are ITCHING to turn this little monster over my knee.
I am not at all sure that I agree with that cbg....suddenly discovering that you are without health insurance when you seriously need it, when someone else has paid money to make sure that you are insured is enough to devastate just about anyone. Yeah, the court orders are between the parents, but the OP has been seriously effected by his mother's lack of honoring the court order. That has to be a really huge blow...and a huge violation of the trust between a parent and child.

If you were receiving 1500.00 a quarter to cover health insurance for your adult child from the other parent, would you have opted to use that money for something other than health insurance for the adult child? Knowing you, you certainly would NOT have done that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am by no means certain we've gotten the straight story, here, though.

However, even if we are, it's the "I have no responsibility to take care of myself - my mother and my trust fund are supposed to do it" attitude that's getting me. She's an adult, for crying out loud. At 21 she should be pulling up her big-girl panties and realizing that life is not going to hand her everything forever - sooner or later she's going to get kicked out of the nest. The majority of legal, emancipated adults aren't getting huge sums of money to care for them - they're having to pay for their own support. But this special snowflake seems to think it's her RIGHT to have someone else paying her bills. At her age, I was also still in college but I was working and paying as much of my own keep as I could, and I'd have been ashamed to sound like this brat sounds to the outside world.

OHRoadwarrior

There is a difference between child support and a beneficiary trust. If you feel the trustee is committing fraud, discuss this with a lawyer. If it is child support, you have no potential case.

I also have a trust fund that I have no access to. The trust fund is who provides the money for my insurance. The trust fund is in my name.

justalayman

Child support is always for the parent, never for the child.
Not intending to start a battle with you specifically and my apologies if it sounds that way.(or anybody for that matter) but that is not the case in NY.It just happens you made the statement is a simple and concise manner so there are no other issues surrounding it.

A child can actually initiate child support actions against both parents if the situation warrants it. In such a case, the child support can actually be paid directly to the child. As far as I know, NY is unique in this possibility.

You are not a party to your parent's court order. Apply for Medicaid.
Yes but she is a 3rd party beneficiary. She may actually have an action against her mother if the mother did not pay what the money is required to be used for.

I don't know why the father is paying the mother anything if the child does not live with the mother though. I suspect we might be being trolled.

OHRoadwarrior

You are correct to a point. Based on OP's story, she did not appear to be. OP did not state mom threw her out. She stated that she did not live with mom. The effect of self emancipation has been held to relieve a parent of support obligation prior to 21 in NY.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=11650345364820987697&q=NY+adult+child+interest+in+child+support&hl=en&as_sdt=4,33

Not intending to start a battle with you specifically and my apologies if it sounds that way.(or anybody for that matter) but that is not the case in NY.It just happens you made the statement is a simple and concise manner so there are no other issues surrounding it.

A child can actually initiate child support actions against both parents if the situation warrants it. In such a case, the child support can actually be paid directly to the child. As far as I know, NY is unique in this possibility.

Yes but she is a 3rd party beneficiary. She may actually have an action against her mother if the mother did not pay what the money is required to be used for.

I don't know why the father is paying the mother anything if the child does not live with the mother though. I suspect we might be being trolled.

LdiJ

I am by no means certain we've gotten the straight story, here, though.

However, even if we are, it's the "I have no responsibility to take care of myself - my mother and my trust fund are supposed to do it" attitude that's getting me. She's an adult, for crying out loud. At 21 she should be pulling up her big-girl panties and realizing that life is not going to hand her everything forever - sooner or later she's going to get kicked out of the nest. The majority of legal, emancipated adults aren't getting huge sums of money to care for them - they're having to pay for their own support. But this special snowflake seems to think it's her RIGHT to have someone else paying her bills. At her age, I was also still in college but I was working and paying as much of my own keep as I could, and I'd have been ashamed to sound like this brat sounds to the outside world.
I was also covering a great deal of my own freight at that age, even though I was still in school. I was a Resident Assistant so my room and board was covered and I got a small stipend, plus I worked summers to cover most of my tuition. However, I knew and expected that my health insurance was covered. I would have been devastated if my parents had cut that off without warning. Of course health insurance was different back then, it only covered catastrophic health care needs, but my parents also paid a modest yearly fee for me to receive free ordinary health care from the University hospital system. Yes, back then students got free ordinary health care for a very modest fee. If I remember correctly it was 50.00 a semester and covered absolutely everything except catastrophic stuff. There was a special clinic at the university hospital for students. It even covered broken bones.

I am digressing but the point I am making is that cutting off someone's health insurance, without warning is a devastating thing to do, particularly with today's absurdly high costs of medical care. A 21 year old student does not have reasonable access to medical insurance, they have no choice but to rely on their parents to provide that. If their parents give them fair warning that they are going to drop the medical insurance, then at least the student can make an informed choice to attempt to find employment that will provide medical insurance, or to find a way to pay for private insurance, or risk doing without. However if the parent(s) give them no fair warning...the they are just XXXXXX'd if something goes wrong...when they had no freaking idea that they were XXXXXX'd.

Sorry, but I think that mom in this scenario is the total bad guy. She is getting 600.00 a week in child support plus 1500.00 a quarter to pay for health insurance. That doesn't solve the OP's problem but it sure as heck justifies the OP's attitude.

justalayman

You are correct to a point. Based on OP's story, she did not appear to be. OP did not state mom threw her out. She stated that she did not live with mom. The effect of self emancipation has been held to relieve a parent of support obligation prior to 21 in NY.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=11650345364820987697&q=NY+adult+child+interest+in+child+support&hl=en&as_sdt=4,33
I am correct from the first letter I typed to the last. If you want to consider that; to a point, then I guess you would be right in your statement. If you want to apply it to a different situation than what I was speaking to, then it could be 100% wrong, 50% wrong, or any other amount.

I wrote that to address the statement that a child cannot be the recipient of child support and they cannot be a party to a child support action. In NY, they can. I did not write it to speak to the OP's case. It was obvious once the trust was brought up, this was not a typical child support case, if it was actually a child support case at all.

ecmst12

Perhaps child support CAN be initiated by a child in some circumstances, but clearly that's not the case HERE. OP is over 21 so it's likely it's arrears being paid now anyway, and she is not initiating a new CS order at this age for herself.

If you knew it wasn't relevent to this thread, WHY did you even mention it, if not to nitpick one of my posts yet again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">