• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's Day Schedule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gtzdad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Today my manager told me that she was scheduling all of the men to work Sunday for Mother's Day so that the women (some not mother's) could have that day off.

I explained my problem with it being that my mother has a son that she sees only a few times per year because of the distance, and I had already made plans to go visit her this weekend, aside from what I felt was it simply being gender based. I raised my daughter without much involvement from her mother at all, and hre mom isn't going to get her for Mother's Day...so I'd like her to at least be with me.

I told her that I didn't believe it was fair for her to make the schedule like this, and that if the women who were working mother's day wanted that day off, they could have done it the right way and just put in a request. I have a wife, mother, grandmother, sisters, etc...that are just as important, and I would like to spend that time with them.

I wasn't disrespectful to her, I just told her what bothered me about that decision, and she said she understood how I felt, but that she wasn't changing her decision.

It just really sounds to me like she is flirting with some illegalities here, and considering her track record since she's taken over as our manager, it seems to be a common practice with her.

Is there anything legally wrong with her saying that because were men and not mother's we have to work instead of making those who wanted off request if formally?

CourtClerk

I agree, not the hill to die on. Besides, I guess that means that you're getting the day off next month on Father's Day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">