• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motion for early release of probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbowman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Friend is in CA, probation is in Arkansas. Friend has never lived in Arkansas and has no ties there. He was put on probation to ensure fines were all paid - had monthly payment plan - Entire fine fulfilled by end of probation. He was told in court by the judge that he was only put on probation to ensure payment.

Well he ended up paying fine in one lump sum in the first month of the probation because his attorney said that he could file (and get and early termination). His attorney wants to charge an additional fee to get this done for him - understandable.

I would like to know if this is possible to do on your own? Can you file without appearing in person? By certified mail? Or appear telephonically in any way?

acmb05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Friend is in CA, probation is in Arkansas. Friend has never lived in Arkansas and has no ties there. He was put on probation to ensure fines were all paid - had monthly payment plan - Entire fine fulfilled by end of probation. He was told in court by the judge that he was only put on probation to ensure payment.

Well he ended up paying fine in one lump sum in the first month of the probation because his attorney said that he could file (and get and early termination). His attorney wants to charge an additional fee to get this done for him - understandable.

I would like to know if this is possible to do on your own? Can you file without appearing in person? By certified mail? Or appear telephonically in any way?
You just ask your PO and if he agrees he will make a motion to the judge to end your probation early.

kenster75

DO it YOURSELF

I just posted my outcome for filing my request to terminate probation early. I did this myself after having called lawyers who were charging $1,500 per motion. When I went down to the courthouse and talked to someone inside the public defender's office, the motion was filed for me for free. Upon receiving a court date, I would be prepared to gather evidence that reflects probation was granted on the basis of having fines paid and that it was paid in full w/in a month. Probation is like supervision, if proven we no longer need supervision and have done what was asked. I am just giving my personal experience and opinion of having this recently done by saving lots of $$.
If anything, you will gain experience, save $$, and may always request it again if not granted. Lawyers can not gaurantee outcome, it's up to the judge and your presentation.

Best of Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">