• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion of Custody Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? I live in Michigan....the father of my child supposedly filed a motion for a custody hearing....if the notice is filed publicly in some manner.... yet I do not read it on the internet or in the newspaper..and I haven't received documents in the mail.... but it is still filed.... can some type of warrant be issued against me even if I am unaware of it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep your related questions in the same thread. It will help us have a full picture of your matter.

You won't be getting any "warrant" at this stage of the game.

Please keep your related questions in the same thread. It will help us have a full picture of your matter.

You won't be getting any "warrant" at this stage of the game.

I apologize. I am new to this site and I thought I posted under the same category. Again, I so appreciate your help! Thank you!!!

LdiJ

I was uncertain if I could ask two questions in the same thread...
You need to pick one of the two threads you have started. Give us a brief backstory so that we understand what is going on, and then ask all of your questions in that thread. Never start a duplicate thread on the same subject, even if its a couple of weeks between questions.

You need to pick one of the two threads you have started. Give us a brief backstory so that we understand what is going on, and then ask all of your questions in that thread. Never start a duplicate thread on the same subject, even if its a couple of weeks between questions.

Ok. I will give you an overview. I filed for a PPO against the father of my child and the judge granted it to me. I requested that my personal info remain undisclosed, such as my address, phone number, etc. My ex filed a motion to have the PPO dismissed and also filed a motion for a custody hearing. I have to attend court for the PPO hearing in a week or so, but I am no longer at the address where the letter was sent for the custody case. Could I be ordered to attend the custody hearing by the judge while I'm in court for the PPO case or does my ex have to serve me himself with papers for the custody hearing?

Zigner

Serving you at the hearing would be easiest. I have to ask you this: Why would you evade service on this matter?

t74

She does not want the father to have custody or visitation. If she can postpone a hearing, she does not have any orders to comply with.

LdiJ

Ok. I will give you an overview. I filed for a PPO against the father of my child and the judge granted it to me. I requested that my personal info remain undisclosed, such as my address, phone number, etc. My ex filed a motion to have the PPO dismissed and also filed a motion for a custody hearing. I have to attend court for the PPO hearing in a week or so, but I am no longer at the address where the letter was sent for the custody case. Could I be ordered to attend the custody hearing by the judge while I'm in court for the PPO case or does my ex have to serve me himself with papers for the custody hearing?
You know about the hearing for the custody matter so you should show up for court. Otherwise, you risk him getting a default custody order and then having to jump through lots of hoops to get your child back. You should also get a copy of what dad filed at the courthouse and actually respond to the case as well.

Zigner

She does not want the father to have custody or visitation. If she can postpone a hearing, she does not have any orders to comply with.
As stated by LdiJ, ignoring the matter won't make things better and can easily make things worse.

As stated by LdiJ, ignoring the matter won't make things better and can easily make things worse.
I have my child and I am not certain if papers were mailed to the address.. I am assuming... I don't want my ex to have visitation at all. The affidavit of parentage isn't filed and I have a PPO against him. How would matters become worst?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have my child and I am not certain if papers were mailed to the address.. I am assuming... I don't want my ex to have visitation at all. The affidavit of parentage isn't filed and I have a PPO against him. How would matters become worst?
He could be awarded custody by default and you could be forced to hand over the child.

Be advised that Dda will almost certainly get some type of parenting time, even if it is supervised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">