• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? virginia. will be relocating overseas within one year for purpose of semi-retirement and to start a small business. can i claim moving expenses associated with change of job for the cost of having my household goods moved by truck to the west coast, and the cost of moving them overseas via ship? thanks for your assistance.


Senior Member
No. You can claim moving expenses only if you work full time for 9 months after moving, or about 2 years if you are self employed. Then, you cannot claim moving expenses if they relate to excluded income. Since you'll be excluding the self employment income (Form 2555), you can't claim moving expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential