• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving in (renting a room) HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rob2731

Hello all. I need some advice fast! I'm currently in California and looking for a room to rent. I found a room that I was ging to rent from this woman. She said I needed to fill out an application to have my credit checked. So, I did, my credit was excellent and she wanted me to rent the room. Today, is the 3rd of February and I'm not going to move in. I never siged anything or gave any type of deposit or 1st months rent. She is upset with me and said she will take me to court (ie: sue me!) because we had an oral agreement! She even wants to put a lien on my house that my wife and I are trying to sell. (Divorce) Can she take me to court? Can she put a lien on my house? What do I do?

Thanks for any and all help!

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

No contract, no lease.

L

LL

Moving in (renting a room) HELP!

It may be not quite so simple, if the judge believes that there really was a promise.

2 questions:

1) Did you sign the application, and does it say anything at all about promising to rent?

2) How long was this "lease" for?

R

rob2731

Renting a room

I signed a credit application only! Nothing was mentioned about renting anything. No mention about time either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">