• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving to a new county with my daughters, WA state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuliaPauline08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state

My boyfriend and I are about to sign a lease on a house in Shelton, WA (Mason County). I currently live in Skagit County and my kids' father resides in Skagit County as well. There was a parenting plan in place, but due to a CPS investigation his visitation has been suspended indefinitely pending the outcome of that investigation. I need to know what, if anything, I need to do to ensure the move is legal and that he cannot contest it.

He has no visitation as I stated before; additionally he does not call or ask for photos etc, nor does his family.

The CPS investigation is due to bruises and neglect endured in his care. My youngest tested positive for an amount of marijuana (he partakes, I do not) that was high enough to be consistent with her ingesting it orally or having prolonged, direct contact with marijuana smoke.

I kind of feel like I have this move in the bag, but just wanted to make sure of the legal process involved in moving. Thanks in advance!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My boyfriend and I are about to sign a lease on a house in Shelton, WA (Mason County). I currently live in Skagit County and my kids' father resides in Skagit County as well. There was a parenting plan in place, but due to a CPS investigation his visitation has been suspended indefinitely pending the outcome of that investigation. I need to know what, if anything, I need to do to ensure the move is legal and that he cannot contest it.

He has no visitation as I stated before; additionally he does not call or ask for photos etc, nor does his family.

The CPS investigation is due to bruises and neglect endured in his care. My youngest tested positive for an amount of marijuana (he partakes, I do not) that was high enough to be consistent with her ingesting it orally or having prolonged, direct contact with marijuana smoke.

I kind of feel like I have this move in the bag, but just wanted to make sure of the legal process involved in moving. Thanks in advance!
Did a COURT suspend his visitation? How you are going to facilitate dad's relationship with his children? Have you properly notified dad of the move according to state law? With proper amount of time for the notice?

LdiJ

What is the actual distance and travel time between the two counties and why are you moving?

Proserpina

Given that the presumption in WA is in favor of relocation, Dad better have a darned good game-plan if he's to fight it successfully. Specially if it's not out of state.

Hey, who knows? It's not unheard of here for the NCP to have to suck up half the cost of visitation, either.

JuliaPauline08

Yes, a judge suspended his visitation pending the outcome of the CPS investigation. My CPS worker will be recommending once-monthly supervised visitation at the CPS office and I have no problem transporting my children to and from those visits.

The distance between the counties is roughly 2 1/2 hours.

I have a job opportunity in Shelton as a CNA at a drug rehab treatment center. In addition, my boyfriend and I are getting married next month and since he works and is established in Mason County, so we decided it would be easier for the girls and I to relocate.

Proserpina

Yes, a judge suspended his visitation pending the outcome of the CPS investigation. My CPS worker will be recommending once-monthly supervised visitation at the CPS office and I have no problem transporting my children to and from those visits.

The distance between the counties is roughly 2 1/2 hours.

I have a job opportunity in Shelton as a CNA at a drug rehab treatment center. In addition, my boyfriend and I are getting married next month and since he works and is established in Mason County, so we decided it would be easier for the girls and I to relocate.

Whether this is a popular answer or not, here's the reality:

The chances of you being denied the right to relocate the children are slim to none and I believe I just watched slim jump into the Pacific ocean.

Notify as necessary, spend a couple of dollars with an attorney if you want to make sure you're doing everything right, and try not to worry. I do live in WA, and I do know how it goes.

As I said earlier, the presumption is in favor of relocation. If Dad stands a chance he's got some major hurdles in his way, to the point where I'd even go as far as to say they were insurmountable. With CPS making such a suggestion, his parenting time won't be affected at all and you've already stated that you're going to travel back and forth to facilitate that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">