• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honestbabe

What is the name of your state? PA
here is the deal. i'm trying to buy a house and i just got word on 8/25/05 that my closing date is some time this coming week. i'm suppose to give a 30 day notice, but i know i could if i wanted to move everything out in a week. i don't feel i should pay my landlord for september because he hasn't fixxed a drain pipe. it leaks onto the foundation and i've told him about this a couple of times and still nothing is done. so i don't think i should have to pay for sept., because it's been broke for 2yrs now.

what should i do.

seniorjudge

Q: what should i do.

A: Make sure all of this stuff is fully documented BEFORE you leave. Also, write a really nice letter to the landlord explaining the pipe problem and how long it has been and ask when it will be fixed. Send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Take plenty of pictures. Get a disinterested witness (i.e., someone who doesn't give a rip what happens in this case) or maybe even two or three.

Then, when the landlord sues you, carry all your evidence and witnesses to court and hope for the best.

Who's Liable?

seniorjudge said:
Q: what should i do.

A: Make sure all of this stuff is fully documented BEFORE you leave. Also, write a really nice letter to the landlord explaining the pipe problem and how long it has been and ask when it will be fixed. Send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Take plenty of pictures. Get a disinterested witness (i.e., someone who doesn't give a rip what happens in this case) or maybe even two or three.

Then, when the landlord sues you, carry all your evidence and witnesses to court and hope for the best.

And the OP will lose in court since they did NOT properly give notification that they vacated the unit - 30-days notice, or whatever the lease or state LL/T laws demand...

Even if the tenant notified the LL, if they didn't do it in WRITING, the LL can always claim they never heard anything about it, and if they(tenant) were so distraught about it, why would they continue to live there?

Sorry OP, you've got everything stacked against you on this one...

treese

Give proper notice and pay the rent that you legally owe for September. It will give you time to move into your new house with much less stress and also move out and properly clean your current place.

The pipe has been broken for 2 years, yet you paid rent for every month of those two years. When did you properly notify the landlord of this problem? Have you followed up on the repair per your State's LL/T Laws?

Now, suddenly, you don't feel you should pay rent because of a pipe that has been broken for 2 years. Funny how these things happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">