• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multi-Sueing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Credair

Not sure if I'm the right place for this...but here I go.
Me and my girlfriend, are now living paycheck to paycheck, because of the occurrences that proceed, We were living at my mothers for 4 yrs, girlfriend got a job, she
held it for her 90 days. at that time she decided she wanted to move to her mothers, to help her out cause of her brother and his girlfriend were stealing from her.
My girlfriend got a new job, and has been at that job for 4 - 5 months when her mother decided she didn't want us there no more.
So we started to look for a place to live close to her work, while we were looking, her mother is getting madder wanting us out, and we told her it's gonna take a little time,
on account that most places want a lot of paper work done to get in ! the place we applied for went off your income.
while we waited of the apartment place we applied at was doing their thing, they decided they had more stuff to fill out, and some paper work to redo. this went on for 3 months, which then My girlfriends mother was at the point rather we had a place or not she wanted us out ! so we went and found a motel, that was semi close and hopefully temp... till we get in the apartment.
Well another month went by and still no apartment yet ! The apartment place wanting more info that they should've asked for before, and all the while we are going thru her paychecks fast due to the motel we was staying at over charging us at a 17% tax, not to mention the owner gave us a deal for a room @ $250 week...which we payed $295 for that first week, the next week he doubled the rate !!! all for staying in a motel full of black mold, and sign of the guy caring if he fixes the motel up or not ! the whole thing has been stressing her and I both, she's had 3 stress strokes in the past, and I had a cardio stroke 6 yrs ago. well needless to say the apartment place we applied to said she makes too much money and we didn't qualify for the apartment ! after 4 - 4.5 months later and broke !
We've recently moved to another motel a little further away, still not bad on her travel time, nicer place !
So here's my question, and I hope I explained all this correctly. Can we sue all parties, that is Her mother, the Apartment place, and the motel ? as we are at a very broke level of money, and feel we been done dirty by all 3 parties !? My girlfriends mother knows about my girlfriends strokes and of mine and still did what she did !
We kinda feel all she wanted us there was to try an to impress me, which i have no interest in a women as old as my mother !
Any advice would be really helpful as I'm sure we can sue 2 if not all 3, cause can can't save up now for our own place, as its now hard to get money to build up since we did have enough saved when we left her mothers to pay first months rent and deposit for just about anywhere till all that occurred.

Just Blue

Me and my girlfriend, are now living paycheck to paycheck, because of the occurrences that proceed, We were living at my mothers for 4 yrs, girlfriend got a job, she
held it for her 90 days. at that time she decided she wanted to move to her mothers, to help her out cause of her brother and his girlfriend were stealing from her.
My girlfriend got a new job, and has been at that job for 4 - 5 months when her mother decided she didn't want us there no more.
So we started to look for a place to live close to her work, while we were looking, her mother is getting madder wanting us out, and we told her it's gonna take a little time,
on account that most places want a lot of paper work done to get in ! the place we applied for went off your income.
while we waited of the apartment place we applied at was doing their thing, they decided they had more stuff to fill out, and some paper work to redo. this went on for 3 months, which then My girlfriends mother was at the point rather we had a place or not she wanted us out ! so we went and found a motel, that was semi close and hopefully temp... till we get in the apartment.
Well another month went by and still no apartment yet ! The apartment place wanting more info that they should've asked for before, and all the while we are going thru her paychecks fast due to the motel we was staying at over charging us at a 17% tax, not to mention the owner gave us a deal for a room @ $250 week...which we payed $295 for that first week, the next week he doubled the rate !!! all for staying in a motel full of black mold, and sign of the guy caring if he fixes the motel up or not ! the whole thing has been stressing her and I both, she's had 3 stress strokes in the past, and I had a cardio stroke 6 yrs ago. well needless to say the apartment place we applied to said she makes too much money and we didn't qualify for the apartment ! after 4 - 4.5 months later and broke !
We've recently moved to another motel a little further away, still not bad on her travel time, nicer place !
So here's my question, and I hope I explained all this correctly. Can we sue all parties, that is Her mother, the Apartment place, and the motel ? as we are at a very broke level of money, and feel we been done dirty by all 3 parties !? My girlfriends mother knows about my girlfriends strokes and of mine and still did what she did !
We kinda feel all she wanted us there was to try an to impress me, which i have no interest in a women as old as my mother !
Any advice would be really helpful as I'm sure we can sue 2 if not all 3, cause can can't save up now for our own place, as its now hard to get money to build up since we did have enough saved when we left her mothers to pay first months rent and deposit for just about anywhere till all that occurred.
What state?

PayrollHRGuy

Let's look.

Mother: No, she did not illegally evict you. You moved out.
Motel: I can think of no reason you could sue them.
Apartment: They never said you had an apartment. It was a rent-subsidized apartment and you didn't qualify.

adjusterjack

Besides, if you couldn't get approved at the first apartment within the first week, you should have kept looking.

You stayed with your girlfriends mother, I'm assuming rent free, for 4 - 5 months, now she wants you both to leave.
Not illegal, and perfectly normal for the mother to want you both gone.

The motel cut you a deal for the weekly rental then decided to hike the rent.
Not illegal and maybe the motel owner wanted you gone as well.

And as PayrollHRGuy said, after the apartment management reviewed all your paperwork they found that you didn't qualify for a rent subsidized apartment.

You keep mentioning that your girlfriend has a job, but no mention of what you do for a living. It's just that two adults working full time should bring in enough money not to need subsidized rent.

Eekamouse

You are welcome to sue anyone you want for whatever reason you want. Doesn't mean you have any chance of winning but go ahead and try. Or you could realize that nobody did you dirty and it's in fact just how life is sometimes.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Assuming you both are at least age 18 and are located in the U.S. neither her mother nor your mother had any obligation to let you live with them, especially rent free. Even your girlfriend's apparent history of strokes does not matter to that. Nothing you said indicates that the mother did anything illegal or even "did you dirty".

Rent subsidized apartments are often not easy to get; the demand usually well exceeds the supply and the requirements to get them can be hard to meet. Often a lot of documentation is needed to ensure that you meet those requirements. It's unfortunate, but that takes time. Nothing you said indicates the person or firm that owns or manages the apartment did anything illegal. For the most part, unless the person making the decision rejected you because of illegal discrimination you cannot successfully sue that person for rejecting you. Illegal discrimination in housing under federal law means treating you differently because of your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability. Some states protect additional characteristics, like sexual orientation. If you were rejected because you didn't meet the income & asset requirements that is not illegal.

The same thing is true with the motel. Few places in the U.S. regulate how much the motel can charge you. You could not successfully sue unless the motel illegally discriminated against you or violated some local rent control ordinances. Again, nothing you've said indicates that the motel did anything illegal here.

In short, nothing you've said indicates you could successfully sue anyone over your housing situation.

Do you work? If your girlfriend is the only one working then I suggest you go out and get a job too. That'll make it easier to afford a place to live. Where do you live? If you are in an area with a high cost of living, consider moving to an area where rent and other costs are cheaper. As adults, the two of you have to figure out how to live on your own.

Credair

What state?
I live in Indiana, her mother charged us $100 a week, the apartment place said we could move in on a specific date, when that date came up they found more reason for more paper work, which lead to 2 more weeks at the moldy hotel/motel ! as far as me getting a job i'm a liability ! had a stroke 6 years ago, my L4 is slightly herniated, so at any moment my back could pinch and ill be down for at least 2 weeks putting me out of work ! The hotel yes illegal....paid a set prices one week then he double charges us the next, we are good people with a dark cloud following us around, and if any of you meet her mother and went to this hotel you would understand more ! believe me once you met her mother, you would want to sue her for well lets just say she didn't need to be a mother at all ever !

Eekamouse

I live in Indiana, her mother charged us $100 a week, the apartment place said we could move in on a specific date, when that date came up they found more reason for more paper work, which lead to 2 more weeks at the moldy hotel/motel ! as far as me getting a job i'm a liability ! had a stroke 6 years ago, my L4 is slightly herniated, so at any moment my back could pinch and ill be down for at least 2 weeks putting me out of work ! The hotel yes illegal....paid a set prices one week then he double charges us the next, we are good people with a dark cloud following us around, and if any of you meet her mother and went to this hotel you would understand more ! believe me once you met her mother, you would want to sue her for well lets just say she didn't need to be a mother at all ever !
The mother isn't a bad person because she doesn't want you in her home. She isn't obligated in any way to give you and her daughter a place to live since you both presumably are over the age of 18. You can't sue her for refusing you a place to live. If you didn't like the hotel, you were free to leave. Do you have lingering health issues from your stroke? Are you getting any medical treatment? What a handy excuse that you can't work because you're afraid your back might go out. I think you might be the dark cloud following your poor girlfriend around. Why should she have to support you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, so the mother is the evil queen from a Disney movie and the hotel the model for the Bates Motel. None of which changes the fact that the mother is not obligated to give you a place to live and the hotel is entitled to change their rates. They STILL didn't do anything for which you can sue anyone.

justalayman

If you’re medically disabled, apply for SSDI or SSI. If you don’t qualify, find a job you can do. Having a stroke 6 years ago means you had a stroke 6 years ago. It means nothing else by itself.

Having a “slightly” herniated L4 means you are in better condition than a lot of people I know that work everyday

So, with that out if the way, it’s time to get a job and stop depending on your girlfriend to support you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">