• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Children - different mothers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

survey102

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I currently have a 9 year old son who lives in Manhattan. His mother and I were never married. We tried to stay together for a year (in Buffalo, where I live), but it didn't work and she moved to Manhattan. I have paid child support ever since. It has always exceeded the 17% due to paying fully for day care when she was going to college and now for an after school program that costs $4000 a year. I am currently paying $800 a month and make $50,000 - this was last set in 2006.

I got married in 2007 and my wife and I had a baby girl last January 2009.

I was wondering if my second child that lives with me would have any effect on my child support since I send over half my take home pay to the first child?

Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I currently have a 9 year old son who lives in Manhattan. His mother and I were never married. We tried to stay together for a year (in Buffalo, where I live), but it didn't work and she moved to Manhattan. I have paid child support ever since. It has always exceeded the 17% due to paying fully for day care when she was going to college and now for an after school program that costs $4000 a year. I am currently paying $800 a month and make $50,000 - this was last set in 2006.

I got married in 2007 and my wife and I had a baby girl last January 2009.

I was wondering if my second child that lives with me would have any effect on my child support since I send over half my take home pay to the first child?

You're entitled to request a review of your current order. It IS court ordered support, yes?

(see if this helps..scroll down a little for instructions/forms to request a review)

https://newyorkchildsupport.com/non_custodial_parent_services.html

frylover

It has always exceeded the 17% due to paying fully for day care when she was going to college and now for an after school program that costs $4000 a year.

$4000 a year for an AFTERSCHOOL program?

I will stop complaining about what I pay for school tuition now.

Neal1421

I agree.

OP - At $800 a month, your CS is $9,600 a year. Add in the 4k for the after school program and you're at $13,600. So you make $50,000 but your take-home pay is somehow only around $27k?
Your math is off. It would be around 35,400.

survey102

Pay for week ending 1-3-2010

gross 1700
federal 260
social security 110
Medicare 25
nys tax 85
health ins. 130
dental 30
401k 200
child support 435 - this is for 1 child, not 2
Take home 425

my support is set on making 51000 since that is what I made the year it was set. I am usally between 45-55 (overtime).

No one has answered my question though. I am just wondering if having another child at home would lower my first obligation. I live in Buffalo and would have to go to court in Manhattan, with Manhattan prices - twice as much as Buffalo, not easy. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">