• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Murder of the insured by the beneficiary...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richardshane

Appeal denied they say not within 90 days

Just an update....I received a denial of my appeal as they say I did not file my appeal within the prescribed 90 day period....At the beginning of October 2009, I received an e-mail from Unum saying that they needed my address as they needed to send me a letter, thinking good thoughts I immediatley sent them a reply with my address here in Thailand. After waiting patiently for abround 3 weeks I finally received that letter and it was denying my claim as stated in last thead...As they sent this to me via regular post and I guess a busy season comming up I did not get the letter till on or about October 26, 2009...it stated I had 90 days to appeal...during this time I have been very busy dealing with the other policy with CIGNA and a new baby which arrived in November...as a result I did not send my appeal until Jan 15, 2010 but paid extra for expedited delivery. I have proof they received my letter Jan. 21, 2010. Which is within the 90 period (from when I received my denial). If I was not going through this myself I would never believe that an insurance company could be so sneaky and underhanded....my brother paid for over 10 years. In her letter she states "The timeframe for requesting an appeal was 90 days from the date you received the October 2, 2009 decision letter or by December 30, 2009." Now I must find a lawyer but it is difficult for me as I am currently located in Thailand which is why I am on this forum asking for advice....it is not like I can look through the yellow pages and call a lawyer....Any advice or help...are they right to deny my appeal or are they abusing their power?? Just an additional bit of info...I looked at the "pitney bowes" postage stamp on the origional denial letter and it is dated "OCT 06 2009" so it was probably posted the following day. These people "UNUM" have done nothing but lie and deny...Hopefully I can find a good lawyer in Texas...After fighting here in Thailand through the Thai courts civil and criminal trying to regain my brothers assets...to no avail. As a foreigner here in Thailand we already have a black mark and trying to fight a Thai is difficult if not impossible...I tried to get the police here to investigate 20,000 US dollars missing from his account...they said there is not enough reason...I had all the evidence already....My brothers wife (murderer) has police relatives...after all the fighting I've done here to get justice for my brother (she was convicted and sentenced AUG 09 ) and in my opinion wouldn't have turned out so well had I not stayed here fighting and keeping the media involved. Never did I think fellow North Americans would treat there own people as I've been treated...Sorry for the rant...Is it possible to get what is rightly deserved from these people ?? I would need lawyer in Houston as my brother was employed by Nobel Drilling located in Sugarland and the policies were written in Texas.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Do a GOOGLE search using the phrase "Houston, Texas" and "bad faith insurance" (simultaneously in the search box) to see some links come up. Your case is so detailed and involved that you need to discuss the so-called date discrepancy/deadline to see if your case is seriously affected or not. You could also file a complaint with the Texas State Insurance Commissioner but I'm not sure how responsive or active they would be towards your individual case.

richardshane

Thanks a lot Dandy Don,
I did a search and found a website for the "Texas Department of Insurance" they have an online complaint form. In the morning I will start finding lawyers in Houston to e-mail...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">