• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Muslim marriage in US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nabeel ali

My brother is living in Connecticut and he wants to get married now. I was curious to know the detail about how he can get married in a Muslim way. Here in Pakistan, we have to do a lot of formality, the following is the link [deleted] of a website which is explaining the way of marriages in Pakistan.

eerelations

Religious marriage traditions and processes are not things that are dictated by US law. Your brother needs to approach the Mullah or Imam at his local mosque to find out what he needs to do to "get married in a Muslim way" in Connecticut.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have to wonder why the OP is asking, since this is his brother's wedding.

xylene

If you are asking how can he force his bride to be to waive fundamental rights, such as those under divorce laws, he can't.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In the US, he is simply a 3rd party, like any other 3rd party (legally speaking).

xylene

In the US, he is simply a 3rd party, like any other 3rd party (legally speaking).
I'm strongly suspecting, if they could, they would love to set up something other than that.

Not that I agree with the guy, but some of those states that pander excessively and rabidly to xtians have those "covenant marriages"

I don't know why muslims shouldn't be allowed to incorporate their religious scruples into a marriage contract if xtians can enshrine their relgious clap-trap in coercive and repressive family laws.

eerelations

It's more than a bit possible that OP is worried that if his brother gets married in the US, said marriage won't be recognized by the Muslim religion. OP's brother can "get married in a Muslim way" in the US, but because this is not a legal issue (and therefore appropriate for this forum), OP and/or his brother need to consult with Muslim religious officials in the US to find out how that can be done.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It's more than a bit possible that OP is worried that if his brother gets married in the US, said marriage won't be recognized by the Muslim religion. OP's brother can "get married in a Muslim way" in the US, but because this is not a legal issue (and therefore appropriate for this forum), OP and/or his brother need to consult with Muslim religious officials in the US to find out how that can be done.
The thing is, any recognized Muslim clergy person should be able to sign the license, the same as for the clergy of any other religion, in order for the license to be valid.

So, the question is, what CT marriage requirement is OP's brother concerned about?

1) Is the bride or groom underage? We are slowly but surely banning child marriage in the US.
2) Are the bride and groom more closely related than 1st cousins? Cousins can marry in CT, but closer than that is incest.
3) Is either party already married? Bigamy is still illegal.
4) Will both parties be present? Proxy marriages aren't a thing here: both parties have to be present.

If OP's brother's issue is that he wants a proxy marriage, where the wife won't be present, then no, that should not be recognized in CT.

That does not mean that he cannot have a proxy marriage. It just means that it will have to be followed up by a legally recognized marriage in order to be recognized in CT. This can be done with any legally recognized officiant. It is a matter of doing the paperwork for the license at town/city hall and getting a signature, and there need not even be a particularly special ceremony associated with the signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">