• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I allow inspection of home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justalayman

Considering the house was built in 1935 and is located in rural Alabama, I doubt very much that there have been any inspections/permits pulled. I had to redo a bedroom this past winter, including pulling new wire and new breakers. No permits needed, no inspections. :cool:
It appears Alabama has a state wide electrical code and electricians must be license. I suspect electrical work is required to be permitted.

Dillon

Of course not. But, be prepared for a big tax bill as they might make a finding based on the licenses held and not reality.

We have a retired client who maintains his professional licenses. Plumber, electrician and a number of other like specialties. He does no work at all. The state keeps trying to assess income taxes because, statistically, a person with those licenses make such and so amount. County too for personal property taxes as a person with those licenses must have some inventory.

It's not that they have a right to enter, it's just it may be in the OP's best interests to let them.
if me, id cancel any license (or sign it, (my name, all rights reserved) and would SEND them a Notice Back, that stated, (my rebuttal), I agree to let them enter my property, for a property use fee of $500.00, etc...

i mean, its my properyt, Right? and thats what i charge for inspections w/o a warrant with supporting affidavit attached. also check out Hale v. Henkel, 201 U.S. 43(1906)

------------------

Hale v. Henkel was decided by the united States Supreme Court in 1906. The opinion of the court states, in part:

Page 201 U. S. 44 "There is a clear distinction between an individual and a corporation, and the latter, being a creature of the State, has not the constitutional right to refuse to submit its books and papers for an examination at the suit of the State;"

Page 201 U. S. 74 "The individual may stand upon his constitutional rights as a citizen. He is entitled to carry on his private business in his own way. His power to contract is unlimited. He owes no duty to the State or to his neighbors to divulge his business, or to open his doors to an investigation, so far as it may tend to criminate him. He owes no such duty to the State, since he receives nothing therefrom beyond the protection of his life and property. His rights are such as existed by the law of the land long antecedent to the organization of the State, and can only be taken from him by due process of law, and in accordance with the Constitution. Among his rights are a refusal to incriminate himself and the immunity of himself and his property from arrest or seizure except under a warrant of the law. He owes nothing to the public so long as he does not trespass upon their rights."

Hale v. Henkel is binding on all the courts of the United States of America until another Supreme Court case says it is not. No other Supreme Court case has ever overturned Hale v. Henkel.

None of the various issues of Hale v. Henkel have ever been overruled.

Since 1906, Hale v. Henkel has been cited by the Federal and State Appellate Court systems over 1,600 times! In nearly every instance when a case is cited, it has an impact on precedent authority of the cited case.

Compared with other previously decided Supreme Court cases, no other case has surpassed Hale v. Henkel in the number of times it has been cited by the courts.

The court can not overlook the 1600 citations wherein Hale v. Henkel has been used to assert the adherence to established precedents and not to disturb or unsettle the same. This is supported by one of the bedrock principles of our legal system is “stare decisis et non quieta movere” which, according to Black’s Law Dictionary, means “[t]o adhere to precedent and not to unsettle things which are established”. Found in Black’s Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition (1979), page 1261, citing Ballard County v. Kentucky County Debt Commission, 290 Ky. 770. (1942), 162 S.W.2d 771, 773. et al.

-------------------------

I might, include a time frame for any rebutal (the notice back) to them with caveat that failure to rebut (the above info) will be recorded as an acceptance of your "offer" with automatic estoppel.

---------------

Last edited:

Torellian

No. It is about the value of the home. The square footage method is a kind of generic means to value a home but a home with granite counters, a Jacuzzi tub, a steam room, and an in home theater is going to be worth more than a home built with the most basic of materials and amenities when both are in the same location, age, and size.

Unless they are going to accuse you of doing work without a permit, they have all the information they should need to evaluate your home already.

If you want to contest a tax value, you can hire an independent appraiser (licensed of course) to appraise the house. Unless the gov wants to contest a licensed appraisers work, they have to accept the value they (the appraiser) placed on the house. That way the gov never has to be let in the home.
I've actually checked on the permits that were issued on the house since it was built and noticed some things that were obviously done to my house WITHOUT a permit before I bought it, such as enclosing the front porch. It's quite possible that I could get penalized for what previous owners did to the house before I ever bought it. Who knows what else they'll find inside.

So on the one hand, I'm afraid to let them in because they could use anything I did to make the place more livable against me in the form of higher taxes. On the other hand, I'm afraid that if I don't let them in, I'll get penalized in the form of higher taxes because, as they say in the letter, they'll "use their judgement" to determine the facts. And you know what happens when when a government taxes people based on their own judgement......

Torellian

Considering the house was built in 1935 and is located in rural Alabama, I doubt very much that there have been any inspections/permits pulled. I had to redo a bedroom this past winter, including pulling new wire and new breakers. No permits needed, no inspections. :cool:
Actually, the house was built in a more northern state, in 1886. There were about 6 permits pulled during it's lifetime, but they don't all account for work that was done, including enclosure of the front and back porches. These could go against me, even though they were done before I owned it.

justalayman

given the fact there is a very visible alteration with no supporting permit, they can obtain a legal right of access, at least concerning that alteration.

yes, as the current owner, you do get stuck with an unpermitted alteration to the home.

Personally, I would not let them into my home. If they have a legal right to access your house, they will show up with a warrant. If they don't, then they don't get in.

As to them altering your taxes based on speculation: if they do, you would have to contest the taxation. It is not your obligation to prove you do not have what they guess but theirs to prove you do.

Torellian

As to them altering your taxes based on speculation: if they do, you would have to contest the taxation. It is not your obligation to prove you do not have what they guess but theirs to prove you do.
That's nice to know. Usually, the government is able to put the burden of proof on anyone they want to accuse. Now the question of course would be the cost of contesting the taxation. No doubt I'd have to hire an assessor and an attorney, plus court costs. That's assuming the increase in taxation would be great enough to warrant such additional expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">