• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss opened my mail (legal) but took item of value (legal?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Basic scenario:
A large used book dealer will send a $20 gift certificate to each faculty member of a school ...
I was out when the credits arrived, so my principal opened the letter and dispersed SOME of the credits to the faculty ... just a perfectly legit charitable donation / tax write-off ...
I am curious: Were these “credits” by any chance time-limited?

I know of a large national book seller that provides teachers with discounts on books but the discounts are available to teachers only during a specified “teacher appreciation” week. Those teachers who do not buy books during this week are not eligible for the discount.

While this is not something to fall on your sword about, if its not an isolated instance, then I would want to know if you ever discussed anything with your union rep? It is possible for a principal to overstep their bounds and I have seen more than one fall afoul of a union contract and end up sanctioned, demoted or even fired.
Yes, I’ve discussed this with my union rep - along with being told we would pray during faculty meetings, being lectured to about God (a bit hypocritical, if you ask me), over a week’s worth of additional training over two months, etc. The union rep seemed afraid to step off into any of it, possibly because it represents teachers AND principals.
They did offer to help me craft my letter of resignation when I told them I couldn’t hack it anymore.

I am curious: Were these “credits” by any chance time-limited?

I know of a large national book seller that provides teachers with discounts on books but the discounts are available to teachers only during a specified “teacher appreciation” week. Those teachers who do not buy books during this week are not eligible for the discount.
No, they never expire and are indistinguishable from the credits issued when you trade in books or electronics.

LdiJ

Yes, I’ve discussed this with my union rep - along with being told we would pray during faculty meetings, being lectured to about God (a bit hypocritical, if you ask me), over a week’s worth of additional training over two months, etc. The union rep seemed afraid to step off into any of it, possibly because it represents teachers AND principals.
They did offer to help me craft my letter of resignation when I told them I couldn’t hack it anymore.
Perhaps you should consider going over the head of your union rep.

commentator

Perhaps you should consider going over the head of your union rep.
To whom? To change what? Welcome to the third world southeastern state of TN! That's okay, most "better children" will be in private schools paid for by vouchers soon anyway!

OP, perhaps you should consider a career change. Seriously, I did this. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy teaching, it was the firmly entrenched old guard of Tennessee educators who quickly moved enthusiastic optimistic young me out of the field. I'd like to think things had improved in the nearly 50 years since this time in my life, but you know, I believe it's getting worse here, and we're getting dumber and dumber. Don't wait till you're older to get more credentials and perhaps you can make a difference somewhere. My heartfelt best wishes and sympathies.

Last edited:

quincy

No, they never expire and are indistinguishable from the credits issued when you trade in books or electronics.
Thank you for answering my question. I thought perhaps that could excuse the principal’s actions. Guess not. :)

I think you would be smart to find other employment first before submitting a letter of resignation - but I wish you good luck should you decide to resign your current position.

To whom? To change what? Welcome to the third world southeastern state of TN! That's okay, most "better children" will be in private schools paid for by vouchers soon anyway!

OP, perhaps you should consider a career change. Seriously, I did this. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy teaching, it was the firmly entrenched old guard of Tennessee educators who quickly moved enthusiastic optimistic young me out of the field. I'd like to think things had improved in the nearly 50 years since this time in my life, but you know, I believe it's getting worse here, and we're getting dumber and dumber. Don't wait till you're older to get more credentials and perhaps you can make a difference somewhere. My heartfelt best wishes and sympathies.
I am resigning at the end of this month, and you are SO right - it IS like a third-world country here. It's a bit ironic that young, idealistic you were moved out by the old guard as realistic, experienced me was moved out by the younger, idealistic entrenched who tend to get upset when someone announces that the emperor has no clothes (meaning: Hey, kids, we tried that twenty years ago and it didn't work then, either!).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">