• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My debtor husband paying back my loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delmar

What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband lost a case in 2019 and should pay about $50,000 to the creditor. However, after trying for a year, the creditor stopped pursuing the collection efforts. I am not a party in that case. In 2020, my husband urgently needed money and I loaned him $30,000 from my personal account, and I gave that as interest free loan (payable within the next 2 years). I wrote a check from my bank account and he deposited in his personal account and used that, and we have bank documents and agreement for this loan. Now, if my husband pays me back that $30,000, then will it create any issue to me or to my husband, form the creditor, specifically in terms of fraudulent transfer act of Florida?

(1). The relevant law on fraudulent transfers: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html  726.201 Fraudulent loans void.— “When any loan of goods and chattels shall be pretended to have been made to any person with whom or those claiming under her or him, possession shall have remained for the space of 2 years without demand and pursued by due process of law on the part of the pretended lender, or where any reservation or limitation shall be pretended to have been made of a use or property by way of condition, reversion, remainder or otherwise in goods and chattels, and the possession thereof shall have remained in another as aforesaid, the same shall be taken, as to the creditors and purchasers of the persons aforesaid so remaining in possession, to be fraudulent within this chapter, and the absolute property shall be with the possession, unless such loan, reservation or limitation of use or property were declared by will or deed in writing proved and recorded.”[emphasis added]

(2). The relevant law on paying back among different creditors:

(a). Jacksonville Bulls v. Blatt, 535 So. 2d, 626 (Fla. 3rd Dist. Ct. App. 1988), https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1777167/jacksonville-bulls-football-ltd-v-blatt/? :
“if a judgment debtor disposes of assets for adequate cash, the transaction will not be considered fraudulent in the absence of a showing that the debtor intended to give the funds received to other than existing creditors. Otherwise stated, it is not fraudulent to give the funds to some but not all existing creditors, even though the effect might be to injure or prejudice an existing creditor who was not chosen to receive the debtor's largesse. These so-called preferential transfers are not deemed fraudulent even though their natural effect is to hinder or delay the non-preferred creditors. Jackson v. Citizens' Bank & Trust Co., 53 Fla. 265, 44 So. 516; Godard v. Crenshaw, 136 Fla. 78, 186 So. 822; Jones v. Wear, 111 Fla. 69, 149 So. 345 (1933); Vickers v. Glenn, 102 Fla. 535, 136 So. 326 (1931); Baldwin v. La Fayette Land Co., 62 Fla. 129, 56 So. 943 (1912). A creditor may properly accept a preference even if the creditor knows that the debtor is making a "calculatedly preferential transfer" for the purpose of disfavoring other creditors. Baldwin v. La Fayette Land Co., 62 Fla. 129, 56 So. 943; Miles v. Katz, 405 So. 2d 750 (Fla. 4th DCA 1981); Mission Bay Campland, Inc. v. Sumner Financial Corp., 731 F.2d 768 (11th Cir.1984).”

(b). Miles v. Katz, 405 So. 2d 750, 751 (Fla. 4th Dist.Ct. App.1981):

“A debtor's preferential transfer of property to a creditor cannot be declared fraudulent as to other creditors, although the debtor in making it, intended to defeat their claims, and the preferred creditor had knowledge of such intention if the preferred creditor did not actually participate in the debtor's fraudulent purpose. See, Vickers v. Glenn, 102 Fla. 535, 136 So. 326 (1931). If the only purpose of the creditor is to secure his debt, and the property is not worth materially more than the debt, the transaction is not fraudulent. Nelson v. Cravero Constructors, Inc., 117 So. 2d 764 (Fla. 3rd DCA 1960). And this is so, although the preferred creditor knows that the debtor is insolvent, that the transfer is of all of the debtor's property, that there are other creditors, that the debtor is actuated solely by the desire to defraud his own creditors, and the effect of the debtor's action will be to defeat them. The preferred creditor, however, must act in good faith, but if he takes the conveyance for the purpose of aiding in the fraud, it is void. See, Nelson, supra.”

Last edited:

quincy

My husband lost a case in 2019 and should pay about $50,000 to the creditor. However, after trying for a year, the creditor stopped pursuing the collection efforts. I am not a party in that case. In 2020, my husband urgently needed money and I loaned him $30,000 from my personal account, and I gave that as interest free loan (payable within the next 2 years). I wrote a check from my bank account and he deposited in his personal account and used that, and we have bank documents and agreement for this loan. Now, if my husband pays me back that $30,000, then will it create any issue to me or to my husband, form the creditor, specifically in terms of fraudulent transfer act of Florida?

(1). The relevant law on fraudulent transfers: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html  726.201 Fraudulent loans void.— “When any loan of goods and chattels shall be pretended to have been made to any person with whom or those claiming under her or him, possession shall have remained for the space of 2 years without demand and pursued by due process of law on the part of the pretended lender, or where any reservation or limitation shall be pretended to have been made of a use or property by way of condition, reversion, remainder or otherwise in goods and chattels, and the possession thereof shall have remained in another as aforesaid, the same shall be taken, as to the creditors and purchasers of the persons aforesaid so remaining in possession, to be fraudulent within this chapter, and the absolute property shall be with the possession, unless such loan, reservation or limitation of use or property were declared by will or deed in writing proved and recorded.”[emphasis added]

(a). Jacksonville Bulls v. Blatt, 535 So. 2d, 626 (Fla. 3rd Dist. Ct. App. 1988), https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1777167/jacksonville-bulls-football-ltd-v-blatt/? :
“if a judgment debtor disposes of assets for adequate cash, the transaction will not be considered fraudulent in the absence of a showing that the debtor intended to give the funds received to other than existing creditors. Otherwise stated, it is not fraudulent to give the funds to some but not all existing creditors, even though the effect might be to injure or prejudice an existing creditor who was not chosen to receive the debtor's largesse. These so-called preferential transfers are not deemed fraudulent even though their natural effect is to hinder or delay the non-preferred creditors. Jackson v. Citizens' Bank & Trust Co., 53 Fla. 265, 44 So. 516; Godard v. Crenshaw, 136 Fla. 78, 186 So. 822; Jones v. Wear, 111 Fla. 69, 149 So. 345 (1933); Vickers v. Glenn, 102 Fla. 535, 136 So. 326 (1931); Baldwin v. La Fayette Land Co., 62 Fla. 129, 56 So. 943 (1912). A creditor may properly accept a preference even if the creditor knows that the debtor is making a "calculatedly preferential transfer" for the purpose of disfavoring other creditors. Baldwin v. La Fayette Land Co., 62 Fla. 129, 56 So. 943; Miles v. Katz, 405 So. 2d 750 (Fla. 4th DCA 1981); Mission Bay Campland, Inc. v. Sumner Financial Corp., 731 F.2d 768 (11th Cir.1984).”

“A debtor's preferential transfer of property to a creditor cannot be declared fraudulent as to other creditors, although the debtor in making it, intended to defeat their claims, and the preferred creditor had knowledge of such intention if the preferred creditor did not actually participate in the debtor's fraudulent purpose. See, Vickers v. Glenn, 102 Fla. 535, 136 So. 326 (1931). If the only purpose of the creditor is to secure his debt, and the property is not worth materially more than the debt, the transaction is not fraudulent. Nelson v. Cravero Constructors, Inc., 117 So. 2d 764 (Fla. 3rd DCA 1960). And this is so, although the preferred creditor knows that the debtor is insolvent, that the transfer is of all of the debtor's property, that there are other creditors, that the debtor is actuated solely by the desire to defraud his own creditors, and the effect of the debtor's action will be to defeat them. The preferred creditor, however, must act in good faith, but if he takes the conveyance for the purpose of aiding in the fraud, it is void. See, Nelson, supra.”
It would not be a fraudulent transfer but it makes the money you loaned to your husband and deposited in his personal account susceptible to seizure by the judgment-creditor.

delmar

Sorry as I overlooked another statute, 726.106 (2) http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html "A transfer made by a debtor is fraudulent as to a creditor whose claim arose before the transfer was made if the transfer was made to an insider for an antecedent debt, the debtor was insolvent at that time, and the insider had reasonable cause to believe that the debtor was insolvent."

Based on this, if my debtor husband pays me back that $30,000 which he owes me, then will it come under fraudulent transfer claim of the creditor?

quincy

Sorry as I overlooked another statute, 726.106 (2) http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html "A transfer made by a debtor is fraudulent as to a creditor whose claim arose before the transfer was made if the transfer was made to an insider for an antecedent debt, the debtor was insolvent at that time, and the insider had reasonable cause to believe that the debtor was insolvent."

Based on this, if my debtor husband pays me back that $30,000 which he owes me, then will it come under fraudulent transfer claim of the creditor?
If the judgment-creditor learns of the money, he could try to recover it.

Why didn’t your husband borrow money from you to pay off the creditor?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

HOw long have you been married and from where did the $30k come?

delmar

My husband’s father had some serious health issues and needed money and I loaned my husband that 30K which is from my personal account that is in existence since before our marriage. We have been married for 8 years.

quincy

My husband’s father had some serious health issues and needed money and I loaned my husband that 30K which is from my personal account that is in existence since before our marriage. We have been married for 8 years.
Any money you loaned him could be subject to seizure if he still has it. Do you have in writing a loan agreement with your husband?

delmar

I have written loan agreement with my husband. The money I gave to my husband is no longer with him as he already spent it for his father's treatment.

quincy

I have written loan agreement with my husband. The money I gave to my husband is no longer with him as he already spent it for his father's treatment.
I guess your husband should hope that the creditor does not learn he had $30,000 and chose not to pay on his judgment.

How much is the judgment for?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How much have you added to that account SINCE MARRIAGE?

LdiJ

I guess your husband should hope that the creditor does not learn he had $30,000 and chose not to pay on his judgment.

How much is the judgment for?
Can you really see a judge dinging him for paying for his father's medical treatment instead of paying the creditor?

LdiJ

Well, I disagree. I think that the OP should consult a local attorney before assuming/believing that a judge would have a problem with a debtor giving priority to a family member's medical treatment over a creditor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">