• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My father died and i need help...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bklynzroyalty

I live in New York State... My father passed away in January of 06... He was re-married for 7 1/2 years. It's been 10 months since my father died and all my step-mom gave me was JUNK!!! i got papers, pictures & refrigerator magnets. Now, when my mother and father got divorced in 1986, in my parent's divorce settlement, it stated that i were to recieve $15,000 when i turned 21. I did recieve that money on my 21st birthday which was this past July, but that had NOTHING to do with his death.... I was told that my step-mom is entitled to the first $50,000 of my fathers assets, and whatever exceeds $50,000, my step mom and I have to split... I dont know my father's assets.. And i dont know if i would even be entitled to anything so i dont know if its worth suing for. Also, i just found out that my step-mom moved. She told me that the Bank took her and my father's house because she wasnt paying the mortage... So according to her, she made no money from the house.... I dont even know where my step mom moved to..... All i know is, she has all of my fathers belongings, and I have nothing to ever pass down to my children when I have kids. I havent even been to the house since my father passed away... We made plans on numerous occasions for me to come to the house and go through my fathers stuff, but everytime the day came, she canceled on me.....Does anyone know if theyres anything i could do? This is getting rediculous, and Im really hurt. Thanks

seniorjudge

Do two things:

Go to the county where pa lived and go to the courthouse; at the probate court, ask if there is an estate filed for pa.

Second, get a title insurance company to run a title report on the place to see who owns what.

I can't give you a lot of encouragements since you should've have done this in January of this year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">