• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My fence is over the line and the owner probably doesn't know it...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DyaDya

California.

I bought a house in 2011 on a 8000 sq foot rectangular lot with an 80 foot back fence. i have similar neighbors on either side. Our back fences back up into open space that is owned by the school district but maintained by the parks and rec department. Its apparently been like that for 40 years and there is no indication that there will ever be a school built and it probably just remains a field loosely maintained. I discovered several years after i bought the house our back fence and one of my neighbors is 3 feet over the real property line. That 3 feet is important to me for several reasons and if i do nothing im sure nothing changes. But i'm thinking of doing a landscape job which would now cost some money and i would like to keep or build a new fence where the current one is. Probably nobody notices if i dont say anything. But i would like it to be officially OK because now i will have an additional investment i don't want to have a problem with. Maybe its mine already because of time, or maybe i could buy it. The one thing i don't want to do, is to ask somebody for "permission" etc and then they say, "oh we didnt know that. Now go back and remove your fence or we will do it for you etc etc." Any advice on how to proceed without poking the bear?

quincy

What sort of landscaping do you want to do? Can you accomplish what you want to accomplish landscape-wise by landscaping 3 feet from the fence/property line, keeping your original fence in place?

If you work three feet away from your fence line, you might have to move your fence eventually if the school decides to develop their land but you won’t have to replace costly plantings.

You cannot acquire ownership of local, state or federal government land through adverse possession. Schools usually keep large buffer areas between the school property and the residential areas that abut the school property. The separation of school land from residential land is often by fence, to keep kids contained and residents happy.

I wouldn’t count on being able to purchase the land but seeing a real estate professional in your area wouldn’t hurt.

Last edited:

zddoodah

That 3 feet is important to me for several reasons
Those reasons being what?

Any advice on how to proceed without poking the bear?
Not really sure what you're asking. You obviously understand the risks, so it's up to you to decide how to proceed. That being said, the most prudent advice is to proceed with landscaping your actual property, give up the three feet, and move the fence where it should be.

LdiJ

Those reasons being what?

Not really sure what you're asking. You obviously understand the risks, so it's up to you to decide how to proceed. That being said, the most prudent advice is to proceed with landscaping your actual property, give up the three feet, and move the fence where it should be.
Or, arrange the landscaping so that the three feet can be relinquished in the future, if necessary, and go on enjoying it for now.

quincy

... That being said, the most prudent advice is to proceed with landscaping your actual property, give up the three feet, and move the fence where it should be.
That seems to be the safest and smartest way to handle it. The school is likely to develop the property at some point in time.

DyaDya

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of good comments/questions/suggestions. So based on them here is so more information and remember I'm not sure if all of this is a "lawyer" situation or "strategy" situation or both. In my head right now its a delicate situation... I don't want to lose the 3 feet i have right now by asking if I can have or buy it. i.e. Right now its clear nobody with regard to the land cares about the 3 feet right now. They are either oblivious or don't care as its not a problem for them now. But if i mention it, then maybe they will feel, compelled, with official knowledge of the situation, they have to "enforce" the boundary. So remember the parks and rec dept lease it from the school district and have a 10 year lease that’s always been renewed and ongoing for 40 years. The neighborhood is aging and really in all likelihood there will NEVER be a school built here. No need. And the parks and rec dept just held a neighborhood meeting saying they are probably going to "develop" the field into some walkways and grass and flowers etc. to make it more like a park than just a field. They know the school district can break the lease at anytime but don't expect it to. The parks and rec look at the field as low hanging fruit in that if they can make it "nice", they can now call it a park and satisfy some population to park ratio. That's all great and not inconsistent in what I want to do. As lessors, I'm sure they couldn't care less about my 3 feet. They have a job to do and that is to make park-like land. And if the school wants it back, they just give it back and go on about doing what they do at other places. So, I kind of see it as the school owns the land but never intends to use it, and parks and rec dept get to have some land to "manage" as a very very simple neighborhood park, if that, and they don't really care about the land except to possibly put some grass, walkways, and flowers on it and check a box that says we have some park area, (until we don't if that ever happens).

Thanks Quincy for the advice I cannot acquire the land through adverse passion. That probably clears up and shoots down plan A. I will assume that is true as I know a lot about computers but nothing about the law except I think you are not supposed to rob banks nor drive drunk.

Also for Quincy: "I wouldn’t count on being able to purchase the land but seeing a real estate professional in your area wouldn’t hurt."
What kind of real estate professional am i looking for? A lawyer? or a real-estate agent?

So also, along with all I'm asking, who am I dealing with: The Schools or Parks and Rec. I assume the schools since they actually own the land but I also suspect if I could even find out who deals with that in the schools I would probably get a blank stare until they looked it up and said, "oh yeah that's ours. oh, you have a fence 3 feet on it? Ok, move it back...NEXT...".

Another answer: Yes, the school has no fence. I have a simple, cheap?, see-through iron fence, which was put there by the first owner 12 years before I bought the house. I was never even advised about the 3 feet when I bought the house. But that’s another issue I guess. My neighbor told me several years later, (as they know they also have 3 feet and are the original owners).

So on the comment "Buy the land". I would be happy to do so. But I would have to ask that question and am afraid that might lead to the boundary enforcement. ie, i am trying to work out a strategy, (if there is one to be worked out), to do this "delicately".

So the questions I'm getting back, reasonably, seem to be, roughly,: do the landscaping smartly so you can reverse it.

Ok, here is the deal on that, and why this is sort of painful. Imagine my 80 foot line on a nice flat piece of land. All nice and geometric, cookie cutter etc. Yes, then THAT is the solution. In fact I probably just give up the 3 feet immediately and just go about my business. The problem is, it’s not quite that simple. Even though we are talking about a neighborhood with rectangular lots and a "roughly" straight boundary against 10 or so houses, the land is uneven and rises 5 feet from house to house. ie my house is 5 feet higher than my neighbor to the left but 5 fee lower than to my right. So my 80 foot boundary rises 5 feet from one side to the other. Then it is complicated by the fact that whole 80 feet, (now looking perpendicularly), has a local crest where it rises right where my fence is and then lowers into a small valley 10 feet away on the school land, and then rises again when well within the school property. I suspect that's why the fence was put there in the first place. The rise in land over those 3 feet made it a natural place to put the fence, (at its crest). It would have been weird to have a fast down sloping area with a fence put there. I'm probably giving too much description here for a reader to imagine it properly. But one more thing. I want to grade part of my yard flatter along with part of the 3 feet so that my yard is mostly flat and does most of that 5 foot rise more sharply toward the right-hand part of the yard rather than a more gradual slope, (the 5 feet), all the way all the way across it. So, in a nutshell, its a bit complicate what i want to do, but its sort of all or nothing.

This brings me to answer: "... That being said, the most prudent advice is to proceed with landscaping your actual property, give up the three feet, and move the fence where it should be."

and

"That seems to be the safest and smartest way to handle it. The school is likely to develop the property at some point in time."

First off as i said, I doubt the school will ever develop it and certainly doesn't have any plans now. But more to part of the point. Keeping in mind how I was trying to describe the property is not a flat simple piece. Even if i give up the 3 feet, I want to grade my part of it. That's pretty much not negotiable and the part of it that's my land is my land so it seems I should be able to do that. But how do i even do that? Do I grade my part lower than theirs and just wait for their part to erode to my level? i.e. I don’t put in a retaining wall, (for their sake), because I don’t want that part of thier land higher than mine. Not sure that's legal but why not? I'm not touching their side if i do that. I'm just taking away part of my dirt that continuously supports their dirt. And its not a “big hillside” where you need a retaining wall or it will mess up everything. This would just be a somewhat small local crest that would flatten if I did that.

Another question: Say i do this. Give up my 3 feet. Just grade just my property and watch the other side crumble down to my level and then just deal with my legal land. Do I have a problem? i.e. can I be sued for doing something that allowed/forced their land to reshape itself?

I have probably just made this more confusing. In my mind everything is simple if i can just keep the 3 feet and grade it nicely. But maybe there is no way to do this with raising the question. However, part of me also feels if I just did it, nobody would ever bring it up or care. But if they did, what are my damages? Is it possibly better in this case to ask for forgiveness later than permission now?

quincy

One thing you must keep in mind if/when grading your own property is that you cannot alter the natural flow of water if altering the flow adversely affects the surrounding property owned by others.

You have a problem that has no easy answer - except to keep your property as it is.

If the Park and Recreation Department decides to improve the land they leased from the school - and their lease permits improvements - there no doubt will be surveys completed by the school and/or the Park and Rec Department. You could lose your extra 3 feet and your fence at that time.

You can consult with a land-use/land-development attorney in your area to discuss what options are available to you.

DyaDya

One thing you must keep in mind if/when grading your own property is that you cannot alter the natural flow of water if altering the flow adversely affects the surrounding property owned by others.

You have a problem that has no easy answer - except to keep your property as it is.

If the Park and Recreation Department decides to improve the land they leased from the school - and their lease permits improvements - there no doubt will be surveys completed by the school and/or the Park and Rec Department. You could lose your extra 3 feet and your fence at that time.

You can consult with a land-use/land-development attorney in your area to discuss what options are available to you.
I think the water flow is OK, but yeah, thanks for pointing about if they improve the land there may be some discovery at that time. And that would be fine to force the issue one way or another. The only issue there is there is no telling how long it will be until they are able to move on the project. It could be literally years. But it also makes me think I could talk to them about how they go about doing improvements and see if that is what they would do. And they would, that could make me more likely to bring up the issue sooner than later seeing that it would be imminent. And thanks for the clarification on the professional I need.

quincy

I think the water flow is OK, but yeah, thanks for pointing about if they improve the land there may be some discovery at that time. And that would be fine to force the issue one way or another. The only issue there is there is no telling how long it will be until they are able to move on the project. It could be literally years. But it also makes me think I could talk to them about how they go about doing improvements and see if that is what they would do. And they would, that could make me more likely to bring up the issue sooner than later seeing that it would be imminent. And thanks for the clarification on the professional I need.
I think asking the leaseholder (Parks and Rec) and/or the owner of the property (school) is the best way to get the answers you seek. I don’t believe your questions would speed up their time frame in developing the property. Governments move slow.

DyaDya

I think asking the leaseholder (Parks and Rec) and/or the owner of the property (school) is the best way to get the answers you seek. I don’t believe your questions would speed up their time frame in developing the property. Governments move slow.
Now that you mention it, I think you are right. Even if I did bring it up and they said "hmm... didn't know you were over the line. Now go move it back", I'm guessing even if I didn't do anything after that, (ie didn't move it back either), it would just be forgotten or put on somebodies todo list never to be done until and only if a day of reckoning comes. I'm going to have a think about that. ty...

zddoodah

I didn't read all of that very long follow up post, but the bottom line is this: Either approach an appropriate public official and deal with whatever response you get or do what you want and risk having to rip things out. Keep in mind that if/when you sell the property, you'll likely need to disclose this to a buyer. Also, you may have issues getting a landscaper to build/plant on the three foot section and, if permits are needed, you might not be able to get them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">