• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My fiance's ex-wife and her attorney are ordering fiancee to produce MY SS#, d.o.b.,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he has access to it and it is under his care, custody, control, he can be compelled to provide it as the OP is a member of Father's household -- from the sounds of things. It is also possible that it can be held against him since he is going for custody and OP affects that.
None of my girlfriends (or even my two fiancées) knew or had access to my social security number. If my case, in a similar situation, they would have to respond as such to the interrogatory.

ETA: Of course, since there is a child between the two, it's more possible that the OP does have access.

CJane

None of my girlfriends (or even my two fiancées) knew or had access to my social security number. If my case, in a similar situation, they would have to respond as such to the interrogatory.

ETA: Of course, since there is a child between the two, it's more possible that the OP does have access.
I think it's pretty unlikely that if the fiance properly objects to that question on the interrogatories, that he'd be compelled to produce information that only pertains to a legal stranger/bedwarmer/glorified babysitter, as we so enjoy calling people. Not unless he has to provide the same information for anyone at all that spends time with the child - the neighbor down the street, occasional teenage babysitters, etc.

Mom has filed to change the well-established status quo. The burden is on her to prove that things should change - and in my experience, interrogatories are just a fishing expedition that opposing counsel uses to see how much information they can make you feel obligated to reveal.

Just Blue

I have know Mr. Blue SS# for 30 years...5 years longer that our oldest child.

TinkerBelleLuvr

According to the original post, the father has had custody of said child for 3 years and child is now 4. The mother is wanting to change status quo. Mother's attorney is on a fishing expedition.

For the requests, the interrogatories can be answered with "not pertinent to the matter at hand," and so forth. It CAN go in front of a judge. The fiancee is NOT a party to the original divorce decree (hopefully.) The judge would have to order HER to hand it over. I would not do so lightly. Have an alternative plan if background checks are asked of EVERY party involved - who is mom's squeeze?

Same thing on the child who is not a party to the original divorce.

What has mom stated as the reason custody should change?

LdiJ

If he has access to it and it is under his care, custody, control, he can be compelled to provide it as the OP is a member of Father's household -- from the sounds of things. It is also possible that it can be held against him since he is going for custody and OP affects that.
So a judge can compel him to commit a federal crime in order to please a judge in a state case? He would be revealing someone else's SSN to a third party, against their will.

Also, he is not "going for custody". He already has custody. Its mom that is going for custody.

Once again, if I were the OP I would categorically refuse.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So a judge can compel him to commit a federal crime in order to please a judge in a state case? He would be revealing someone else's SSN to a third party, against their will.

Also, he is not "going for custody". He already has custody. Its mom that is going for custody.

Once again, if I were the OP I would categorically refuse.
I'd refuse, and still consult w/my own attorney.

Proserpina

And really - what if Dad simply tells the court he doesn't have OP's #ss?

OP is not a child. Dad does not have full custody and care of her. He's going to get penalized for not producing information he just doesn't have?

I'd be fighting this one every step of the way. And I'd be right in doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">