• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor is suing another neighbor after being attacked by their dog, and I'm wondering about some legal advice that the victim was given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Quincy: Actually, PayrollHRGuy did express an opinion on how a jury might feel. Sorry you missed that. Lots of agitated people here, so I'm sorry for having stirred things up. I posted no identifying details so as to protect everyone's privacy, and I'm sorry that wasn't enough. If this thread is problematic for the forum, feel free to delete it altogether. But "thanks" to those who did respond with attempts to assist.
3 people responded to this thread. 1 (myself) voiced the opinion that you shouldn't post about someone else's legal issues. That doesn't qualify as " lot's of agitated people".

xylene

Don't involve yourself in the issue. Dog bites are a VERY emotional charged issue.

It's not your problem.

You are borrowing trouble.

quincy

Quincy: Actually, PayrollHRGuy did express an opinion on how a jury might feel. Sorry you missed that. Lots of agitated people here, so I'm sorry for having stirred things up. I posted no identifying details so as to protect everyone's privacy, and I'm sorry that wasn't enough. If this thread is problematic for the forum, feel free to delete it altogether. But "thanks" to those who did respond with attempts to assist.
Your thread is not a problem. I just don't think we can tell you much from this distance.

We, and you, will have to trust that the attorneys involved have researched the laws and the case law and the facts surrounding your friend's injuries and advised your friend based on their research.

PayrollHRGuy

Actually what I wrote was, "I can easily see how a judge or more importantly a jury might feel some portion of the debt has been paid because the dog was put down."

Was the bill enacted?

Even if it was, the dog had not previously been labeled a dangerous dog. It would only be after a dog has been judged dangerous that euthanasia would be ordered.
Yes it was enacted, and as the OP said it had already attacked several people in the neighborhood.

quincy

As a note: It is line 144 in the quoted bill. The section you were referring to, Neil, is Section 4-8-26.

The problem with third-party postings is that we are not provided with the facts. We do not know what the attorneys said to convince the friend to agree that the dog should not be euthanized. We have no idea what happened with the previous bite cases. We know nothing about the dog or the dog owner. All of this is important.

The most important thing we know is that the attorneys who have access to all of these facts, and more (including the community's views on euthanizing dogs), believe euthanizing the dog would affect the amount of damages that could be awarded.

We should trust the attorneys and not try to second-guess the advice that was given.

Aurora and national dog bite statistics have nothing to do with this thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">