• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights living with alcoholic relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
Relative is bad alcoholic. Wants me to pay more rent. He makes good money. I don't have a job. The dude is stressful. Been paying him for 4 years and only complains like one or twice a month. Tell him to get therapy, he shuts up awhile. Waiting to move. Try to keep away from him. A real prick.
Your relatives drug use, albeit a legal drug have nothing to do with YOUR rights. As for making good money, good for him, maybe you should try it by getting a job rather than calling him a prick.
Sorry administrators, I'm a bit grouchy this morning on some bad news.

quincy

What is the name of your state?
Relative is bad alcoholic. Wants me to pay more rent. He makes good money. I don't have a job. The dude is stressful. Been paying him for 4 years and only complains like one or twice a month. Tell him to get therapy, he shuts up awhile. Waiting to move. Try to keep away from him. A real prick.
Here are two links, one to landlord/tenant laws in Illinois and one to Al-Anon resources in Illinois, so you can learn to better deal with your relative's alcoholism:

http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/landlordtenantrights0404.pdf
http://www.niafg.org/home_header_menu/meetings

Dubdidit361

Well if the information that was provided to me in my thread is correct..no matter what..if you have been allowed to set up residence there and have lived there for more than a month you can wait to be evicted for not paying the proper rent..go to court have it brought in front of a judge and he or she can give you a permanent answer and the boot all in one sitting. But i guess the point is if there is no lease he can change what he wants as long as he notifies you before hand. But on another note.. A few years ago i rented from some drug addicts and they pulled the same thing whenever they owed their dealer money. We just packed up and left. The stress wasnt worth it.

Eekamouse

Well if the information that was provided to me in my thread is correct..no matter what..if you have been allowed to set up residence there and have lived there for more than a month you can wait to be evicted for not paying the proper rent..go to court have it brought in front of a judge and he or she can give you a permanent answer and the boot all in one sitting. But i guess the point is if there is no lease he can change what he wants as long as he notifies you before hand. But on another note.. A few years ago i rented from some drug addicts and they pulled the same thing whenever they owed their dealer money. We just packed up and left. The stress wasnt worth it.
This guy isn't a renter. He's a freeloader living with a relative that drinks. His relative likely drinks because he has a freeloader living in his house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">