• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son's paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

17 year old son with a job.

If I request his paycheck from his employer, is it true they must give it to me?

kaizen

Seems like a control type of thing -- if she gets the paycheck, she can use it to keep her son in check.
Nope.

My son put holes in my wall a while back. In therapy, it was agreed upon that within 30 days of getting his first paycheck, he'd fix them. He hasn't, so I want to do that with his paycheck.

justalayman

Then sue your son but you cannot steal his paycheck (and if you use subterfuge to obtain it from the employer, that is exactly what it would be).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nope.

My son put holes in my wall a while back. In therapy, it was agreed upon that within 30 days of getting his first paycheck, he'd fix them. He hasn't, so I want to do that with his paycheck.
Actually it is what I said. You get the paycheck you think you control your son. Doesn't matter what was agreed to in therapy. Therapy is NOT a court order. And while JAL is correct it would be stealing, you can't sue your son because he was under your care, custody and control when he put the holes in the wall.

kaizen

Actually it is what I said. You get the paycheck you think you control your son. Doesn't matter what was agreed to in therapy. Therapy is NOT a court order. And while JAL is correct it would be stealing, you can't sue your son because he was under your care, custody and control when he put the holes in the wall.

Wrong. My son is the one who has control of this situation. He's the one who made the deal. He's the one who can follow through or not - he's the one in control.

I am parenting a diagnosed sociopath under the guidance of a trained, licensed mental health professional. I'll leave the psychological assertions that include control vs. parenting to her. Please do not tell me what I think. You don't have a clue.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Nope.

Doesn't sound to me like getting the money to fix the walls is looking at the root problem here.

TigerD

Wrong. My son is the one who has control of this situation. He's the one who made the deal. He's the one who can follow through or not - he's the one in control.

I am parenting a diagnosed sociopath under the guidance of a trained, licensed mental health professional. I'll leave the psychological assertions that include control vs. parenting to her. Please do not tell me what I think. You don't have a clue.
I have a clue. If you are a parent, there is no question of control. And it does not belong to the child.

DC

Ladyback1

You can take him to his place of employment to pick up his check, then take him to a bank to cash said check, and then make him fork over the money he owes you. That would make more of impact than stealing his check!

Your child is obviously not in control (the mental illness diagnosis indicates that), but you need to be.
Any therapist, counselor, PhD, that says the child is in control should be fired!:mad:

And before you get all testy and tell me I don't have a clue? I lived in a 15 year marriage with an unmedicated violent BiPolar, who actually meets all the criteria for a Sociopath (on or off his meds)...And I had children with him, thus I still have to deal with him. I own the fact that I chose to procreate with him. But, yeah, I have a freaking clue what it's like to deal with someone who only cares about himself, is mean, is manipulative, is a liar, is/was violent and will do whatever it takes to get what he wants.

quincy

I really haven't researched this for Michigan yet (and I suppose I could, if necessary) but I do know offhand that, under many states' laws, parents are entitled to the earnings of their minor child(ren). The employment income of a child legally belongs to the parents and the parent can have the employer direct the funds to the parent.

I personally think that it would be a crappy thing for a parent to do, as it eliminates all incentive for a child to work, but it would not be illegal.

Again, state laws vary, so this may not apply to Michigan and kaizen.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But even when it is, that is a matter between the parent and the child, NOT the parent and the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">