• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My superiors are saying nasty things

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
On a side note: Don't leave your valuable personal effects laying around at the office.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interesting, I notice that is ohio law. Is the same true of Georgia? Also, how do companies legally surveil their business or how do individuals legally surveil their homes if it is illegal?
I have edited my post. I thought you were in Ohio. As you have seen, Quincy posted the information relative to Georgia.

quincy

Thanks for your input. The reason i asked is because i'm not in a financial situation to easily obtain legal council and i want to be sure I have something valid first. I don't want to jeopardize their offer of severance by taking legal action against them if I have no case. I was honestly surprised they offered it.
I suggest you speak to a lawyer before making any decision but the choice is yours to make. Lawsuits are not fun and there is no guarantee you would be successful. It is often easiest and best to leave an unpleasant workplace and find employment elsewhere.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A hostile work environment has a very specific meaning under employment law. As described, this does not meet the definition.

quincy

Making offensive or inappropriate comments can be workplace harassment depending on factors not disclosed yet here. I think it worth an attorney review ... but finding employment elsewhere saves time and trouble.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes - but it is not ILLEGAL harassment unless it is based in a characteristic protected by law. Which, as described, it is not.

quincy

Yes - but it is not ILLEGAL harassment unless it is based in a characteristic protected by law. Which, as described, it is not.
What led to the harassment not been described well enough to determine if any employment law has been violated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employee is free to talk to twenty-seven attorneys if he so chooses. But the use of some generic name-calling does not constitute illegal harassment, is not a hostile work environment as defined by law, and does not provide him with any legal action. Particularly as it appears that much of what he described was not addressed to him directly. If he has additional facts that he thinks would change the answer, he is free to address them here or alternately with the aforementioned attorneys. But it is important for him to know that AS DESCRIBED he has nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">