• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife's employer does not deduct enough for city taxes. Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
TT does not ask about any kind of percentages. I'm disappointed a little with TT cause their suppose to see this, that's why I'm paying them so it's done right. Also my wife co-workers are also dealing with this problem too. My work takes out the correct 2% amount. Just because by law they are taking out the what they have too doesn't mean their not dumb. They could could fix this but they refuse.
No, Turbo Tax is not supposed to see it. They can only do so much. YOU are supposed to see it.

As I said previously, your wife's employer is not doing anything wrong. Furthermore, you (plural)have known about this issue for years. Frankly, missing it on your taxes is entirely the fault of your preparer (ie: you.)

Silverplum

TT does not ask about any kind of percentages. I'm disappointed a little with TT cause their suppose to see this, that's why I'm paying them so it's done right. Also my wife co-workers are also dealing with this problem too. My work takes out the correct 2% amount. Just because by law they are taking out the what they have too doesn't mean their not dumb. They could could fix this but they refuse.
So, your "problem" is with TurboTax.

OHRoadwarrior

If her employer did that for one person, they would need to do it for all. This could involve hundreds of different tax districts potentially. It is not cost effective for them to pay secondary city taxes. Imagine the nightmare on top of that when someone enters a change of address to HR and then they must immediately shuffle the taxes again to the proper district or RITA. RITA actually handles this for my wife because both her work and home are in RITA districts. I used to need to file mine quarterly, because I worked in a township and live in a RITA city.

Scott85

No, Turbo Tax is not supposed to see it. They can only do so much. YOU are supposed to see it.

As I said previously, your wife's employer is not doing anything wrong. Furthermore, you (plural)have known about this issue for years. Frankly, missing it on your taxes is entirely the fault of your preparer (ie: you.)

I didn't miss anything, missing it would be me not even asking these questions and going on with my life. I'll check with TT and the city. Thanks for help, but you guys need to lighten up, seems people here like giving noobs a hard time.

Scott85

If her employer did that for one person, they would need to do it for all. This could involve hundreds of different tax districts potentially. It is not cost effective for them to pay secondary city taxes. Imagine the nightmare on top of that when someone enters a change of address to HR and then they must immediately shuffle the taxes again to the proper district or RITA. RITA actually handles this for my wife because both her work and home are in RITA districts. I used to need to file mine quarterly, because I worked in a township and live in a RITA city.

Thanks for explaining that to me nicely and in detail. Good day

Silverplum

I didn't miss anything, missing it would be me not even asking these questions and going on with my life. I'll check with TT and the city. Thanks for help, but you guys need to lighten up, seems people here like giving noobs a hard time.
Well, at least we didn't call you names, like you (incorrectly) called your wife's employers.

:cool:

LdiJ

Our professional software handles OH city taxes pretty well, but it still requires the preparer to know that the issue has to be addressed. Perhaps what you really need to be doing is to use a paid professional preparer instead of using something like TurboTax. Online software with its question and answer formats do a good job on simple returns, but when there are quirks or complications in a return if you don't know what the result is supposed to be and know how to make the software achieve that result its problematic.

However, you can also opt out of the software doing your city return and simply do that return by hand.

Scott85

The reason I stopped going to HR-Block was costing to much couple of other places were about the same price, last time I went was like 300$. I'll just do the city separately then.

Last edited:

LdiJ

The reason I stopped going to HR-Block was costing to much couple of other places were about the same price, last time I went was like 300$. I'll just do the city separately then. Thanks again
Just an FYI...there are lots of paid professionals who aren't part of national chain, and their prices might be significantly lower than a national chain. On top of that, the non national chain preparers tend to be open all year long, so they often are more available to their clients.

davew128

Just an FYI...there are lots of paid professionals who aren't part of national chain, and their prices might be significantly lower than a national chain. On top of that, the non national chain preparers tend to be open all year long, so they often are more available to their clients.
Yeah, well, when you start dipping down below $300, at least around here, you get what you pay for. Comprende?

LdiJ

Yeah, well, when you start dipping down below $300, at least around here, you get what you pay for. Comprende?
Comprendo...but around here at least, the level where it dips into the realm of "you get what you pay for" is much lower.

ShyCat

T I'm disappointed a little with TT cause their suppose to see this, that's why I'm paying them so it's done right.
You're paying TurboTax to do your Federal and state tax returns. TurboTax never claimed to handle returns for individual counties, cities or other taxing districts. You got what you paid for, no more, no less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">