• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

N-400 oath and change of address q.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLMommy

It's been a while :)

I am about to submit my N-400. Question 36-39 deals with the Oath of Allegiance. Question 36 sks me if I am willing to say the full oath. I answered question 37 (bearing arms) with a no, because I am not willing to bear arms on behalf of the US (or any other nation for that matter), because of 'religious' convictions. I answered 'yes' to the 38 and 39, because I am willing to perform non-combatant service or work of national importance. I am assuming that because of that I have to answer 36 with a 'no' as well, because of the wording ("full"), or do I answer yes, and ask for an ammended oath during the interview?

Also, while I have been notifying USCIS every time we moved (to another state too, last year), we just found out that my husband - as my sponsor - was required to do so also. He's never updated his address with USCIS. How do we go about this? Leave it be, explain at interview (does he have to come too?), file 3 different change of address forms?

Thanks.

evcalyptos

It's been a while :)

I am about to submit my N-400. Question 36-39 deals with the Oath of Allegiance. Question 36 sks me if I am willing to say the full oath. I answered question 37 (bearing arms) with a no, because I am not willing to bear arms on behalf of the US (or any other nation for that matter), because of 'religious' convictions. I answered 'yes' to the 38 and 39, because I am willing to perform non-combatant service or work of national importance. I am assuming that because of that I have to answer 36 with a 'no' as well, because of the wording ("full"), or do I answer yes, and ask for an ammended oath during the interview?

Also, while I have been notifying USCIS every time we moved (to another state too, last year), we just found out that my husband - as my sponsor - was required to do so also. He's never updated his address with USCIS. How do we go about this? Leave it be, explain at interview (does he have to come too?), file 3 different change of address forms?

Thanks.
Hey, congrats! :)

There is a fellow who helped many people with this issue when he went through it. Links here suck, but if you go to google/groups and search alt.visa.us for 'ingo' and some key words from your request, you'll find how he successfully navigated this part of the oath.

Sponsor spouse needs to complete I-865 and just use the new address. I"ve never heard of it becoming an issue. He may come to the interview appt with you (your part will be about 15 minutes) but he can't come in the room with you. If you're applying on the 3 year 'waiver' option via marriage to a USC, they'll need to reconfirm that you two are still married. It doesn't hurt to have him there, and then he can take you out for a treat after you pass your interview!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">