• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

N600

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexxi2006

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am doing a little research for the son of a dear friend. He is foreign born (in his country), and would like his dad who is a naturalized US citizen to petition for him. Dad is willing to do it , but he wants the son to do all the research first, like finding the right forms to fill out. He is way past 18, should the dad file the I-130 and I-1485 or is he eligible to file for N-600 -N600K ? All responses are welcomed.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am doing a little research for the son of a dear friend. He is foreign born (in his country), and would like his dad who is a naturalized US citizen to petition for him. Dad is willing to do it , but he wants the son to do all the research first, like finding the right forms to fill out. He is way past 18, should the dad file the I-130 and I-1485 or is he eligible to file for N-600 -N600K ? All responses are welcomed.
An adult son/daughter (they are called 'children' under the law only when under 21) is not an immediate relative, so they must wait for a visa number to become available to the son.
That makes him instantly NOT eligible to file I-130 + I-485.

How would he be eligible for the N-600? How old was the son when the father naturalized?

The son's marital status is one of the classifications that will make a difference.

At uscis.gov, navigate to the 'Immigration Through a Family Member' page that explains the categories. (their links are too long to post anymore)

Then you look at the visa bulletin at the State Dept: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4177.html

This is updated monthly.

Lexxi2006

I haven't read anything which is why I asked here. Left up to me I would have suggested I-130 and I-1485, but someone else mentioned the N600. His dad has been a US citizen for almost 30 years. Anyway, they both are from different countries, dad never got married to his mom, but he is an unmarried adult they share the same last name, and his dad has always taken care of him financially when he was growing up. Thanks for your response.

evcalyptos

I haven't read anything which is why I asked here. Left up to me I would have suggested I-130 and I-1485, but someone else mentioned the N600. His dad has been a US citizen for almost 30 years. Anyway, they both are from different countries, dad never got married to his mom, but he is an unmarried adult they share the same last name, and his dad has always taken care of him financially when he was growing up. Thanks for your response.
Ah, another wrinkle.

Truthfully, this is one worth getting a paid consultation for. You could also try posting it here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34 where I've seen similar cases resolved, but this is one that you'd want to make sure you got right the first time. The fees are not cheap!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">