• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change without consent from non-custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We are not using our attorney for this matter.
Their father has discussed terminating his rights and allowing a step parent adoption through text messages. However, he changes his mind often. The name change will be helpful to my children who express that they are tired of explaining why their name is different and are embarrassed to say who their real father is.
This is the stupidest reason to do this.

Your children's father isn't a famous criminal... And even if he were famous, most people have the attention spans of gnats. It's hard to keep track of all the scandals with the ever new evolving dramas.

They can wait until they're 18 and change their name.

Just Blue

This is the stupidest reason to do this.

Your children's father isn't a famous criminal... And even if he were famous, most people have the attention spans of gnats. It's hard to keep track of all the scandals with the ever new evolving dramas.

They can wait until they're 18 and change their name.
Agreed. Many children have different last name then a parent. My youngest does and she has never been quizzed by others regarding her name.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The name change will be helpful to my children who express that they are tired of explaining why their name is different
Realistically... In this day & age, it is not at all unusual for children to have a different last name from their mother. I seriously doubt that there are many people asking why your children do - no one really cares. And... their name is different due to your choice to take a different name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">