• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice for my friend before a nervous breakdown occurs??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While I cannot disagree with you, if you had seen all of the 50, 60, 70 and 80 plus widows that I have had sitting in front of me crying because they totally don't understand how to even provide me the basic information to do their taxes...particularly when their husbands have just died in a year they were self-employed, you might view things a little differently.

Is any spouse, husband or wife seriously making a mistake when they don't fully understand what is on a tax return that they are signing, ABSOLUTELY. Are they partaking in fraud because they trust their spouse to handle the taxes properly? Not at all. The IRS certainly understands that because the IRS allows for "Innocent Spouse Relief". Innocent spouse relief is not given willy nilly, but it is recognized by the IRS that some spouses truly are innocent in their spouse's tax fraud.
Ignorance of the law is NOT a defense. Sorry but this spouse is NOT innocent. She knew he was underreporting his income. WHy? Because it is now an issue when she is being penalized for it by going by the W2s. When she was married and she knew he was lying -- hey guess what, it has already been admitted that she KNEW he was lying -- then she was acting criminally. She is not an innocent. She was a coconspirator. Especially when she is yelling in court regarding how he has lied all this time on his tax forms that SHE signed.

Proserpina

Ok folks, I see the mistake that was mentioned earlier yesterday in regards to 3rd party posting and issues with facts and so forth, apparently I may have not gotten some of the details exact and understand some people jumping the gun on this all due to my fault and I apologize for that, I am not going to quote any of the recent posts because I am definitely not here to start a fight at all and get a already heated conversation worse. I myself am very familiar with using forums but mainly about hobbies, cars etc. never really used a type of "Help/Advice" forum like this so let me just say a few things and hopefully this can move forward with the intent to help my friend. I am NOT a troll and neither is she...we or maybe I should say I started this process off on the wrong foot and should have tried to convince her to try this herself right from the start, it definitely was not an easy task to even get her to register and join this morning especially after I forwarded her a link to this thread to read how it started this morning, she initially was scared to even join because of some of the "Bashing" that has happened (which is understandable to a point when the facts are unknown as they were)but I was able to talk to her about it and here she is, completely unfamiliar with this process but she is here and willing and needing to continue the process through to hopefully receive the needed guidance she is looking to accomplish.

I ask that all of you sit back and put yourself in her shoes for a moment (mistakes she has made and all) and try to help her out with an open mind and ask HER all the revelant questions you want, I honestly believe people here CAN help her down this road.I will stay out of this from this point on and if anyone has any other disbelief that I (we) are not trolls please feel free to PM me and I will gladly give you or anyone my number to call and talk to personally, and I'm sure my friend would as well.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion and wrong way of going about this from the beginning but now the ball is in HER court and hopefully respectable/knowledgeable people of this forum.

Thank You,
Steve

I can't speak for anyone else, but I appreciate a graceful apology.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">