• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on filing for custody and visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flimskippy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I reside in Georgia, but my child resides in Florida.

I am the father of a 9-month-old child who resides in Florida with her mother. I was at the hospital at her birth and am on the birth certificate which bears my last name. We are no longer a couple, and I want to apply for my right to joint custody and visitation. I am graduating from college in December and have only worked a part-time job up until now. I have sent money all along to help out. My ex-girlfriend has always lived at home with her parents and she still does with my daughter. What was initially a friendly separation has now turned sort of nasty and my ex has changed her phone number and her mother will not return any phone calls. Essentially, being 500+ miles away, I have no way to get in touch with them concerning my daughter. I have researched the forms necessary to file, but wonder if I should find an attorney and what, if anything, can be done about getting my ex to contact me regarding my daughter. Any help or advice you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I reside in Georgia, but my child resides in Florida.

I am the father of a 9-month-old child who resides in Florida with her mother. I was at the hospital at her birth and am on the birth certificate which bears my last name. We are no longer a couple, and I want to apply for my right to joint custody and visitation. I am graduating from college in December and have only worked a part-time job up until now. I have sent money all along to help out. My ex-girlfriend has always lived at home with her parents and she still does with my daughter. What was initially a friendly separation has now turned sort of nasty and my ex has changed her phone number and her mother will not return any phone calls. Essentially, being 500+ miles away, I have no way to get in touch with them concerning my daughter. I have researched the forms necessary to file, but wonder if I should find an attorney and what, if anything, can be done about getting my ex to contact me regarding my daughter. Any help or advice you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It's always best to hire an attorney. If you can't or don't want to you'll need to read up on the laws and court rules. Since your daughter lives in FL, you'll need to file in FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">