• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on patient dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nellie Bradford

I live in Tennessee. I have been seeing my doctor for about 3 years. I have a prescription for pain that states to take "as needed". I take it on occasion when other medications won't work. I see my doc every 4 months. On my last visit, I was asked to provide a urine sample. They randomly do so in their office and there has never been a problem with this. I received a letter from them stating that they will no longer see me because I tested negative on my urine screen. I then wrote a letter and explained that I do not always take that medication because I do not always need it and that my prescription states that I should take it "as needed". They will not allow me to return.

My ex-husband is also a patient there. About a year ago, he was asked to give a urine sample and the sample came back positive for marijuana. He also received a letter stating that he could not return as a patient because of this. He wrote a letter and stated that he had made a mistake and that it would never happen again. They accepted him back as a patient.

My question is... Can the doctors office legally and/or ethically accept him back as a patient but not me, when I was never out of compliance but he was. I have never encountered any problems with this doctors office so I am really having a tough time understanding where they are coming from with all of this. Can someone please advise me on the ethics and legality of this situation. Thanks. Nellie

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Tennessee. I have been seeing my doctor for about 3 years. I have a prescription for pain that states to take "as needed". I take it on occasion when other medications won't work. I see my doc every 4 months. On my last visit, I was asked to provide a urine sample. They randomly do so in their office and there has never been a problem with this. I received a letter from them stating that they will no longer see me because I tested negative on my urine screen. I then wrote a letter and explained that I do not always take that medication because I do not always need it and that my prescription states that I should take it "as needed". They will not allow me to return.

My ex-husband is also a patient there. About a year ago, he was asked to give a urine sample and the sample came back positive for marijuana. He also received a letter stating that he could not return as a patient because of this. He wrote a letter and stated that he had made a mistake and that it would never happen again. They accepted him back as a patient.

My question is... Can the doctors office legally and/or ethically accept him back as a patient but not me, when I was never out of compliance but he was. I have never encountered any problems with this doctors office so I am really having a tough time understanding where they are coming from with all of this. Can someone please advise me on the ethics and legality of this situation. Thanks. Nellie
Yes, they can choose to sever their relationship with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">