• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice/referral for gun rights/courts martial question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Huskerd00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

I have what I feel is a somewhat unique case. I was convicted at a GCM for two UCMJ offenses, however neither offense carries an allowable sentence of over one year. I was adjudged a BCD as well. According to the 4473 instructions, I must answer "yes" to questions 11b and c. Contrary to a widely held belief, I'm well aware already that a BCD does not fall under the "dishonorable conditions". A "dismissal adjudged by a GCM" is in reference to commissioned officers, whereas an enlisted service member actually must have received a DD. I have reviewed two cases where there was a challenge to the statement that a court martial does not equate to a felony, but in both of those cases, the crime was both punishable by more than one year, and would have been classified as a state felony anyway (grand larceny and rape, respectively). I was convicted of article 108 (dollar value below $500), and 121 (lesser offense - wrongful appropriation), both of which fall into state-level misdemeanor categories. I have considered applying for a UPIN using a voluntary appeal form, but to be honest, I kind of feel let sleeping dogs lie. Advice?

SHORTY LONG

What branch of our US American Services were you in and for how long? As far as letting sleepy dogs sleep, not cool at all for that just compounds your unsavory character that you were kicked out of the Service for does it not.

FlyingRon

I think you read too much into the comment about GCMs and 11 b and c. This statement is only there to reiterate some federal decisions that a referral to or adjudication by a GCM is the same as an indictment or conviction by a civilian court. In either case, the charge has to be one of the "felony" level as defined (potential punishment more than a year).

The discharge is going to be your real problem. You're "well awareness" is incorrect. While a BCD isn't a Dishonorable Discharge, the federal statutes and case law consider that a discharge as a result of a GCD is indeed "dishonorable conditions." This is also why you do not qualify for veteran's benefits. 18 USC 922(g)(6) which covers the gun ownership issue, specifically says "dishonerable conditions." You do not qualify.

SHORTY LONG

FlyingRon you are spot on and correct in the majority of your post. However, until the original poster answer the additional questions there could be relief for a license! There is yet much too learn, and I really do not feel like getting into heated pissing matches nor contests. Remember this, the "Law" is like an ocean, 'it is never still.'

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">