• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?IL
If you live with your parents and pay rent do they have to claim that as an income on their taxes? I live with my mom and two children and I'm trying to get state aid, already have medical card and need food stamps, I told them that I pay my mom rent and she thinks that means now she has to claim the money I give her ($2500 yearly) on her taxes as an income. Is this true? Thanks in advance.


Senior Member
Yes, she should be claiming that income on her taxes. All income is taxable unless specifically excluded in the tax code.



Would not there be some offset such as maintenance and mortgage, taxes if she treated her property as rental unit??


Senior Member
Yes, they can claim expenses against the rental, on a prorated basis, based on the square footage of the rented portion.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential