• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help from Chicago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaP777

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I had a tenant (temporary worker) who bailed on his lease here in Ohio, with no notice, leaving the house filthy. He moved back to Chicago, where he owns a house. I sued him in small claims court and won the judgment, maximum in Ohio is $3000. I would like to place a lien on this guys house in Chicago, but I'm trying to figure out if my judgment here in Ohio will be recognized in Chicago. If not, what has to be done before I can put a lien on his house?

divgradcurl

Lots of good info on this page: http://www.judgmentenforcementagency.net/Illinios_Judgment_Enforcement.html

The State of Illinois generally adopts the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act. (735- ILCS 5/12-615 to 12-626) Any judgment, decree or order of a court of the United States or of any other court is entitled to full faith and credit in the State of Illinois.

A judgment creditor seeking to enforce a foreign judgment may file with the appropriate court an authenticated copy of the foreign judgment and an affidavit showing the name and last known post office address of the judgment debtor and the judgment creditor. The clerk of the court and the creditor are required to mail a written notice of the filing of the foreign judgment to the judgment debtor at the address given. The notice must include the name and post office address of the judgment creditor and, if the judgment creditor has an attorney in this state, the attorney's name and address. Lack of mailing notice of filing by the clerk does not affect the enforcement proceedings if proof of mailing by the judgment creditor has been filed. A judgment so filed has the same effect and is subject to the same procedures, defenses, and proceedings for reopening, vacating, or staying as a judgment issued by the Courts in Illinois, and may be enforced or satisfied in like manner.

Edit: File the copy of the judgment, along with an affadavit as described above, with the Illinois court in the county in which the property is located. Once the judgment has been domesticated, then you can pursue a lien.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">