• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need medical health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cbmblessed

What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois and would like to know how can my fiance add me to his employee health insurance before we are married? I'm a full-time student and I work only the allowed maxium hours for work study with no major medical health insurance. We have been living together for almost two years and planning to get married after I graduate in 2005

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbmblessed said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois and would like to know how can my fiance add me to his employee health insurance before we are married?

====================================

My response:

You can't until you're married.

IAAL

C

cbmblessed

Is it possible to give legal guardianship to him as his dependent since he is my provider?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbmblessed said:
Is it possible to give legal guardianship to him as his dependent since he is my provider?

My response:

Since you're a student, and you sound like you're mentally able to care for yourself, and you're not a danger to yourself or others, then no, he cannot obtain "Conservatorship" of you. "Guardianship" is the term used for a minor. You don't sound like a minor.

Hey, at least you're thinking, and trying out all the angles!

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you meet the definition of a dependent in the plan booklet you cannot be added to his health insurance. Period, end of statement, case closed.

Although an group health coverage plan can choose to include heterosexual domestic partners who are not married, few if any do. You will need to find your own health insurance until you are married.

C

cbmblessed

As a heterosexual domestic partner, am I not considered as a dependent in the same household?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbmblessed said:
As a heterosexual domestic partner, am I not considered as a dependent in the same household?

My response:

There is no legally recognized "connection" or "dependency" between the two of you; e.g., son/mother, or father/daughter, or husband/wife. Therefore, you are simply not eligible to be insured as a dependent.

That's it. Accept it.

IAAL

C

cbmblessed

Thank you very much "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" for your kind, thoughtful consideration on the acknowledgement given to my questions. I can purchase medical insurance on my own, but it doesn't make since to pay two seperate premiums if we don't have to. We are a middle aged couple who have raised our children and now able to live our own lives.

Last edited:
C

cbmblessed

I can accept the fact of dependency status. But whoever "cbg" was that gave a statement could have been less critical of the situation, I thought this forum was to give advice not smart remarks. If there is a misunderstanding of my questions please feel free to ask for clarity.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbmblessed said:
Thank you very much "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" for your kind, thoughtful consideration on the acknowledgment given to my questions.

MY RESPONSE: You're welcome.

I can purchase medical insurance on my own, but it doesn't make since to pay two separate premiums if we don't have to.

MY RESPONSE: Sure it makes sense. Right now, your boyfriend doesn't have a legal, insurable interest in you. In order to have an "insurable interest", there must be a "legal connection" between the two of you, as I stated above.

We are a middle aged couple who have raised our children and now able to live our own lives, but will not get married until I complete my education.

MY RESPONSE: Congratulations on being middle aged, etc. But, not getting married is your choice. If you want the protections of law, and the "life advantages" as married couples enjoy, such as being able to be insured on a husband's insurance policy, then you'll need to be married.

Get married in a Civil Ceremony. Then show the insurance company your marriage certificate. For some at your age, the ability to be insured is all the reason in the world to get married; i.e., it's obvious at your age that you're not thinking of procreating as a reason for being married - - like young couples do.

Either that, and just as you mention, get your own policy.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbmblessed said:
I can accept the fact of dependency status. But whoever "cbg" was that gave a statement could have been less critical of the situation, I thought this forum was to give advice not smart remarks. If there is a misunderstanding of my questions please feel free to ask for clarity.

My response:

Let me tell you who "cbg" is, and her importance to these forums. Cbg is a well-respected and long-time member of FreeAdvice. She is a highly experienced Human Resources manager, working for a Fortune 500 corporation, who is also in a well-placed position as an HR Manager to accurately comment on issues such as yours; i.e., employee insurance policies, regulations and rules.

I absolutely do not see her statements to you as being "smart" (as in "smart" alec) or as being "critical". Rather, her statements were "emphatic" and come from first-hand knowledge and experience. Sometimes, due to the insistance of a writer - like yourself - it becomes necessary to be emphatic.

So, please . . . do not mistake her words as being a "misunderstanding" of your issue. She is absolutely correct, and her verbiage was right on target.

IAAL

C

cbmblessed

Sometimes people skills are best, when obviously your education is the bulk of expertise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry you don't like my answer. Is it the wording, or the fact that the answer isn't the one you wanted, that is the problem?

No, being a heterosexual domestic partner in the same household does not make you a dependent who is eligible for coverage unless the specific plan says so. There is NO legal requirement that ANY dependants be covered on ANYONE'S health plan. Each group insurance plan spells out who is considered a qualified dependent. The large majority of plans limit coverage to LEGAL spouses and children. Occasionally, a plan will allow for homosexual dependent partners since they do not have the option of getting married. In most cases, the partners will have to provide an affidavit to the effect that they share a household, expenses, and so on. Few if any extend this exception to heterosexual unmarried partners, since they have the option of marrying and becoming a legal spouse. And before you ask, no, this is not illegal discrimination.

I don't know any other way to say it, so if you don't like the way I phrase it I really don't care. Unless your fiance's plan specifically and in writing allows for heterosexual unmarried partners to be covered, which is HIGHLY unlikely, there is no way you are going to be covered on his plan until after you are married and there is no legal way you can force them to cover you. If it doesn't make sense to you to buy a second policy, then don't buy a second policy and go without insurance. If you care about being covered, then buy a second policy regardless of whether it makes sense to you or not. Those are your options.

IAAL, you're a sweetheart. Thanks again; the check is in the mail.

H

hexeliebe

I think IAAL fell out of his Boxter...he's soooo sweet today. I wonder if someone didn't knock him over the head and take over his keyboard. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">