• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needle prick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

easley6

I do not want any monetary gain(maybe I worded it wrong in my first post) I just want to know what this lady's test results are. What if she already has hepatitis or HIV ? Her tests results are considered confidential. This is what I have lost sleep over. You can be sure I will advise the lab of my experience.

Also, it is policy at the dr.'s office to not immmediately tell the patient of the incident. The doctor will reach the patient by phone and advise them of the incident and proceed from there.

Last edited:

LAWMED

I do not want any monetary gain(maybe I worded it wrong in my first post) I just want to know what this lady's test results are. What if she already has hepatitis or HIV ? Her tests results are considered confidential. This is what I have lost sleep over. You can be sure I will advise the lab of my experience.

Also, it is policy at the dr.'s office to not immmediately tell the patient of the incident. The doctor will reach the patient by phone and advise them of the incident and proceed from there.
At first i thought to myself "who cares if the individual has HIV or hepatitis, etc." But then something nagged at me.

Here is my problem: It is odd that you did not witness her pricking herself...I assume you did not since you did not mention it....it should have been noticeable. So the question is, did this woman then stick you with the same lancet she stuck herself with? It is obvious that she was not trained for this so anything is possible. If she is not a licensed tech of some sort then she was not allowed to perform the procedure on you, by law. I would have a very hard time taking her word that she stuck herself, without you noticing, and then did not stick you. I think you have EVERY right to demand to see her test results in this situation. obviously you should never allow her to touch you again.

ecmst12

It is FAR more likely that the staff member pricked herself with a dirty lancet AFTER OP had left the room. The scenario you suggest is completly absurd.

LAWMED

It is FAR more likely that the staff member pricked herself with a dirty lancet AFTER OP had left the room. The scenario you suggest is completly absurd.
I absolutely agree. What I suggested is utterly absurd. It is illogical, nonsensical, outrageous and dimwitted. However, I have seen it happen more than once, typically from inexperienced personnel. I have seen residents stick themselves with a suture needle and then use it to place the suture, RNs/techs stick themselves with an IV needle and then immediately insert it in the patient. I agree that what you suggest IS FAR more likely...and that leaves us with the fact that the lancets were not put in a sharps container immediately after use....which leaves us with an incompetent, non-glove wearing, untrained twit...which makes anything possible. If it was myself, or a member of my family, I would get her lab results.

las365

You would need an attorney to make sure that no costs occur to you and that all follow up is done for a proper period of time to ensure your safety.
I think it would be a needless expense for OP to hire an attorney over this at this time. It could cost several thousand dollars, and for what?

Now, if it turns out that the employee has HIV or hepatitis and OP ends up with HIV or hepatitis and can prove his only exposure was from this incident, then maybe...

kiminliny

he was potentially exposed

op was potentially exposed for she stuck him 3 different times. We do not know when the practitioner was stuck, whether it was before, after etc. I think both people have valid concerns. Aids testd in the 1990's took 6 months now you can get a valid result in a little as 1 month!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">