• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negotiating a legal bill owed by my fiance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ocnjgirl

What is the name of your state? NJ. Hello. My fiance hired a lawyer years ago, before we met, to try to reduce his lifetime alimony amount. I guess he wasn't happy with the results, because he never paid the last $500 he owed her. Yes I KNOW he is wrong to do this, but he won't pay it. However I want to get it off our backs before she sues him for it. We get a bill from her every month, with interest of $26 a month added. So first question, can I call her office and offer to settle the debt on his behalf? (our finances are now combined as far as bills). If so, can I offer to pay the original amount of $500, rather than the $1900 it has grown to with the interest? I have never been good at things like this, I always bring someone to the car dealership to do it for me, lol. So, with as little judgement as possible, can someone advise me how to handle this? Involving him is not an option, in fact I'm not even going to tell him after it's done.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? NJ. Hello. My fiance hired a lawyer years ago, before we met, to try to reduce his lifetime alimony amount. I guess he wasn't happy with the results, because he never paid the last $500 he owed her. Yes I KNOW he is wrong to do this, but he won't pay it. However I want to get it off our backs before she sues him for it. We get a bill from her every month, with interest of $26 a month added. So first question, can I call her office and offer to settle the debt on his behalf? (our finances are now combined as far as bills). If so, can I offer to pay the original amount of $500, rather than the $1900 it has grown to with the interest? I have never been good at things like this, I always bring someone to the car dealership to do it for me, lol. So, with as little judgement as possible, can someone advise me how to handle this? Involving him is not an option, in fact I'm not even going to tell him after it's done.
If her retainer agreement allows interest then he owes $1900. Him being unhappy with the results is NOT a reason to not pay. Hopefully she does sue him and he has to live with that. And the attorney will NOT talk to you. That is fact. Why? Because she doesn't have his permission to do so. And you are NOT an attorney.

ocnjgirl

Wow, thanks for the "as little judgment as possible" part. I'm trying to make it right, after all. But negotiating settlements is not at all uncommon. If I asked about a different form of consumer debt I doubt you'd have said I couldn't negotiate a lower amount (let alone imply it's morally wrong) I get that I can't act on his behalf but why on earth would I need to be an attorney to negotiate with her anymore than I would need to be an attorney to negotiate debt with a credit card company? In any case, apparently I triggered a nerve, thanks for reply anyway.

eerelations

Wow, thanks for the "as little judgment as possible" part. I'm trying to make it right, after all. But negotiating settlements is not at all uncommon. If I asked about a different form of consumer debt I doubt you'd have said I couldn't negotiate a lower amount (let alone imply it's morally wrong) I get that I can't act on his behalf but why on earth would I need to be an attorney to negotiate with her anymore than I would need to be an attorney to negotiate debt with a credit card company? In any case, apparently I triggered a nerve, thanks for reply anyway.
The person who replied to you is a lawyer. Ohiogal's response was not judgmental, it was factual and accurate. Your fiance's attorney can't legally talk to you about anything to do with your fiance's case, including what money he may or may not owe her. If your fiance wants to settle the amount owed to her, he must conduct the settlement negotiations himself. Legally, you cannot do it for him.

PayrollHRGuy

There is nothing stopping you from sending the lawyer a check or money order for the entire amount owned. There is also nothing that would not allow the lawyer to accept the check or money order to pay off the account.

justalayman

You missed ohiogals point. The attorney has a legal duty to not discuss her clients (current or former) issues with anybody else without legal justification or permission from the client. It isn’t an optional thing. It is a legal mandate. That means the attormey, if she wants to stay on the good side of the law and her ethical obligations, will not discuss the matter with you.

Thats why you cannot negotiate on behalf of your husband.

But honestly, since your husband has been so bull headed, personally I think he deserves to pay the full amount. His stubbornness is the reason interest got tacked on. He deserves to pay for his petulance.

Edit to add: replace husband with fiancé

Just Blue

You missed ohiogals point. The attorney has a legal duty to not discuss her clients (current or former) issues with anybody else without legal justification or permission from the client. It isn’t an optional thing. It is a legal mandate. That means the attormey, if she wants to stay on the good side of the law and her ethical obligations, will not discuss the matter with you.

Thats why you cannot negotiate on behalf of your husband.

But honestly, since your husband has been so bull headed, personally I think he deserves to pay the full amount. His stubbornness is the reason interest got tacked on. He deserves to pay for his petulance.

Edit to add: replace husband with fiancé
The client is OP's boyfriend. ;)

Just Blue

Fiancé and I added an edit at the bottom of my post.

But thanks for pointing out my error blue. Ya know I just love when people point out my errors

In light of how things have been on the forum today I feel I must make this statement

Im kidding.
I would have known that even if you didn't point it out. Your comment just dripped wizeazzatude...so much so that a yellow "caution cone" should be put on the floor to prevent slipping. :sneaky: :p

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My ex-husband has a similar personality.

Even if you were able to pull this off, at some point, he'll find out, and the consequences he metes out to you won't be pretty.

Just an observation.

Dandy Don

Is he not paying this out of some sort of revenge motive? Partners who are beginning a marriage need to being more open and honest about financial situations, no matter how difficult it may be. Try to reasonably explain to this man that there is no point in delaying this bill and that it will be best for everyone for him to get it over with. Hopefully this is not an indication of how he will handle other debts in the future--in general, is he responsible for paying his bills on time?

Just Blue

Is he not paying this out of some sort of revenge motive? Partners who are beginning a marriage need to being more open and honest about financial situations, no matter how difficult it may be. Try to reasonably explain to this man that there is no point in delaying this bill and that it will be best for everyone for him to get it over with. Hopefully this is not an indication of how he will handle other debts in the future--in general, is he responsible for paying his bills on time?
Per OP's posting history she hasn't had the best luck with men. She likely should reconsider co-mingling monies, at least until the wedding band is on the finger and the marriage is official/legal.

adjusterjack

My fiance hired a lawyer years ago, before we met, to try to reduce his lifetime alimony amount. I guess he wasn't happy with the results, because he never paid the last $500 he owed her.
No judgment.

First thing you need to know is when he defaulted on the debt. If it's more than the 6 year statute of limitations for a lawsuit the debt is going to be uncollectible.

Less than 6 years and there is nothing to stop you from calling up and offering $500 as full and final. The lawyer will either (1)accept it, (2)ask for more or (3)tell you she cannot discuss your boy friend's debt with you.

If number (1) happens, get the agreement in writing (email is OK) and send a check. If number (2) you negotiate a number you can both live with, get the agreement in writing and send a check. If you cannot negotiate a discount you decide if you want to pay the $1900 in full to clear the debt. If you don't want to then the consequences of the debt falls back on your boyfriend. If number (3) happens then the consequences of the debt falls back on your boy friend.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Per her first post, she has tried this, which is why she's thinking of resorting to subterfuge.

Her fiance is trying to make a point. If she pays the bill, he will see this as undermining the point he is trying to make. He will be very angry at her; it will be viewed as a breach of trust.

People who act like this before marriage don't magically become easy going and/or trusting when the wedding rings are exchanged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">