• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor adds 1 foot dirt, causes pool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BaldwinCountyAL

What is the name of your state? AL

My neighbor added 1 foot of dirt across his whole 1/2 acre lot. He further sloped his lot to drain toward my lot. My lot was slightly lower than his to begin with. Now, all rain water pools on my lot, with little to none pooling onto his lot. I get a 1/8-1/3 acre pool of water, 18" deep at the greatest depth. The water now stands for weeks. Before neighbor added dirt to his lot, there was very little standing water after a heavy rain on my lot.

When his dirt was still piles of dirt, just before he spread his dirt, I let him know that we need to come up with some amicable method of drainage for us both. He denied any negotiations, and he built up his land.

Further, this neighboring landowner has added two storage buildings to his lot, while the covenants of this Block of land specifically state that the landowner can only build a residential home. Further, he is using a Baldwin County permit for an address that is not that lot, nor an adjoining lot. So, he has performed all of this work using an illegal permit.

Before he filled, the water spread evenly across both of our lots. Now, I get all of the water, and the water has nowhere to go but to stand on my lot until the soil can drain it. After 17" of rain, it took 3-4 wks to drain.

What's the best way to pursue damages against this neighbor? Do drainage "nuisance" laws in an Alabama civil trial allot monetary damages in a private suit between neighbors when one of the neighbors blatently builds up his lot to send storm water drainage onto another?

Brian

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">