• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor can't be located to grant easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvogel

What is the name of your state? California
I own a landlocked parcel. I get no response to certified mail to the owner from whom I need an easement. He may be out of the country from what I've heard. What can I do? Is small claims court a remedy?

nextwife

Is there a different contiquous neighbor from whom you can seek an easement?

Did you buy the property as a landlocked parcel? Is it now landlocked because you (or the family member you may have inherited it from) have sold off the access over the years? How did the property come to be landlocked?

Last edited:

jvogel

California
It was landlocked when it was subdivided. Does this mean the City has some liability or obligation to help create access?

nextwife

So, are YOU the subdivider and did you sell off your own access? And if it WAS landlocked before you bought it, why did you agree to buy it prior to the seller obtaining legal access?

jvogel

California -- I was a lender and acquired the property through foreclosure. I didn't find out about the landlock until after I became the legal owner. The land was subdivided by the City with this parcel landlocked from the beginning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">