• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Caught Stealing Electricity - Criminally Charged With Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

OP shut off power to neighbor's barn and locked box after neighbor starting intentionally using an excessive amount of electricity (left all lights on 24-hours per day, etc.) to drive up OP's bill and then rented barn to a 3rd party as an incoming producing business.

What other charges are appropriate for the safety risks neighbor created?
Oh, so the homeowner allowed the connection.

one cannot allow the connection of power in a meter base. While, in most areas anymore, the base (box) and usually all of the wires within the base remain the property of the homeowner, the control of the base is given to the utility company due to the fact the meter is almost always the property of the utility as well as the possibility of the power theft and liability for injuries.

as to what additional charges; since the homeowner allowed the connection, that reduces the possible charges a lot but not completely. It does make the homeowner the possible target of charges though, especially if power was being stolen from the utility.

Mass_Shyster

that isn't what the OP said. He said the utility owns the box.

So, how about we figure out if this is a "box" or actually a "meter base". It sounds like you are speaking of a meter base. There is a difference.
My bad. Around these parts (New England) the meter base is the only thing that could be called a "box" that's outside the house. Everything else goes inside.
Just a hint stevef, I really know about this stuff;)
I'll PM my basis of information.

As to any laws for cutting the seal; nothing I am aware of although there may be something state specific. I have not looked for any.
I think most states make tampering with the box a crime. The seal is only there to show evidence of tampering.

justalayman

I think most states make tampering with the box a crime. The seal is only there to show evidence of tampering.
Oh God no. Do you have any idea of how many seals I have cut off over the years, some without prior notice to the POCO (power company)? Of course you don't but it's been quite a few.

but anyway, that still doesn't equal theft of services. If you are connected to the load side of the meter, the customer to whom the service is registered is paying for the power. As such, the POCO is not damaged, just the customer but as we see, it appears this was a "with knowledge" hijack. Changes a lot.

Last edited:

Rooty1

Neighbor Stealing Electricity

that isn't what the OP said. He said the utility owns the box.

So, how about we figure out if this is a "box" or actually a "meter base". It sounds like you are speaking of a meter base. There is a difference.

Just a hint stevef, I really know about this stuff;)

If it is a meter base, then we are still at a point of whether the connection was before or after the meter. I suspect it was before the meter if in fact we are speaking of a meter base. That would explain a lot. If the connection was before the meter, then yes, the utility company is the victim here. If after the meter, no electricity was stolen from the utility. As to any laws for cutting the seal; nothing I am aware of although there may be something state specific. I have not looked for any.
The box that was cut open does not house the meter. It had no seal, the OP put a lock on it so neighbor could not turn power back on. The power was stolen before the meter and OP paid the higher bill.

justalayman

The box that was cut open does not house the meter. It had no seal, the OP put a lock on it so neighbor could not turn power back on. The power was stolen before the meter and OP paid the higher bill.
now you say before the meter although you state the OP paid a higher bill. If the connection was before the meter, OP's bill was not affected.

If you meant to say AFTER the meter;

If this is a disconnect (since you say it can be turned off at this box), and it was installed by permission of the owner of the disconnect, I'm not seeing much of any crime other than the possibility it was not installed using a permit and was likely not code (National Electrical Code or any applicable code) compliant. That is rarely treated as a criminal situation but simply red tagged and ordered to be corrected or removed.

In fact, I don't see how the POCO would be involved at all. They are usually not charged with enforcing code issues. On top of that, most of them are not overly knowledgeable of the codes since they do not work with code sections that would apply to anything beyond the meter.

there is something very problematic with your scenario. It makes no sense at all.

Rooty1

Neighbor Stealing Electricity

now you say before the meter although you state the OP paid a higher bill. If the connection was before the meter, OP's bill was not affected.

If you meant to say AFTER the meter;

If this is a disconnect (since you say it can be turned off at this box), and it was installed by permission of the owner of the disconnect, I'm not seeing much of any crime other than the possibility it was not installed using a permit and was likely not code (National Electrical Code or any applicable code) compliant. That is rarely treated as a criminal situation but simply red tagged and ordered to be corrected or removed.

In fact, I don't see how the POCO would be involved at all. They are usually not charged with enforcing code issues. On top of that, most of them are not overly knowledgeable of the codes since they do not work with code sections that would apply to anything beyond the meter.

there is something very problematic with your scenario. It makes no sense at all.
Sorry, my bad. Should have read AFTER the meter which resulted in an increased cost to OP. Thank for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">