• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor filing bogus phone harassment criminal charges against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grinsporked

North Carolina
After months of altercations with my neighbors, we came to an agreement to text each other whenever we were letting our dogs out, because if they were all out at the same time they fought. My yard is completely fenced in, theirs isn't. We texted from October 1 to December 8, when my neighbor spotted my security camera on my window and immediately assumed it was recording her yard. It is on my yard, but before I could tell her this she told me she was blocking my number and not to contact her anymore.
The next day she texted me "Know what time it is? ;)" and I responded "enlighten me." She said no need to, quit texting me or I'll be forced to take other measures. I replied "ok but you texted me first" to which she said she was pressing charges. She went to the magistrate and swore in that I was harassing her over the phone, and I was sent a criminal summons for "harassing phone calls." We never once spoke on the phone, only texted, and I only texted her when I was letting my dogs out or, at her texted request, when her other dog was howling, because he howled constantly. She works out of town Monday through Thursday and would call her boyfriend every night to bring the dog in, which he never did, so I would text her when the dog woke me, my husband, and our 10 month old daughter up. Again, she told me to and I have proof in our text messages.
I met with a criminal defense lawyer today, who read the texts, and though he agrees I never harassed her, says there are judges that would convict me. I have no record at all, not even a traffic violation. My neighbor has to have doctored the texts for the magistrate to have issued the criminal summons. Our texts were always amicable, and even when the howling dog woke us up at night, I only texted her once at a time, I didn't spam her with messages. She would respond later, usually between 8-10 am. I didn't cuss at her, I stayed patient even though I was only getting a few hours of broken sleep, and work full time.
What should I do? I can't understand how I could be convicted when the texts are clearly 2 way conversations, not just me texting her, and certainly not me threatening her. I filed restraining orders against her and her live in boyfriend prior to us agreeing to text, but was denied even though they had both come onto our property multiple times and threatened us.
I have every text message between us, video of them threatening us, and proof that the charge against me is bogus. I plan to talk to other lawyers, but I wanted several opinions. I just want these people to leave us alone. We can't afford to move, which is what the lawyer I met with today told me to do. I know that's the best option but we just financially aren't there. What can I charge my neighbors with, and how can I defend myself in court? They shine flashlights in our windows, wait for us to get home and try to intimidate us, and though I have no proof, my dogs are now pooping blood, and a veterinarian confirmed it wasn't due to any illness they could have contracted. I suspect they're throwing things in our yard to harm our dogs. I'm at my wit's end.

quincy

North Carolina
After months of altercations with my neighbors, we came to an agreement to text each other whenever we were letting our dogs out, because if they were all out at the same time they fought. My yard is completely fenced in, theirs isn't. We texted from October 1 to December 8, when my neighbor spotted my security camera on my window and immediately assumed it was recording her yard. It is on my yard, but before I could tell her this she told me she was blocking my number and not to contact her anymore.
The next day she texted me "Know what time it is? ;)" and I responded "enlighten me." She said no need to, quit texting me or I'll be forced to take other measures. I replied "ok but you texted me first" to which she said she was pressing charges. She went to the magistrate and swore in that I was harassing her over the phone, and I was sent a criminal summons for "harassing phone calls." We never once spoke on the phone, only texted, and I only texted her when I was letting my dogs out or, at her texted request, when her other dog was howling, because he howled constantly. She works out of town Monday through Thursday and would call her boyfriend every night to bring the dog in, which he never did, so I would text her when the dog woke me, my husband, and our 10 month old daughter up. Again, she told me to and I have proof in our text messages.
I met with a criminal defense lawyer today, who read the texts, and though he agrees I never harassed her, says there are judges that would convict me. I have no record at all, not even a traffic violation. My neighbor has to have doctored the texts for the magistrate to have issued the criminal summons. Our texts were always amicable, and even when the howling dog woke us up at night, I only texted her once at a time, I didn't spam her with messages. She would respond later, usually between 8-10 am. I didn't cuss at her, I stayed patient even though I was only getting a few hours of broken sleep, and work full time.
What should I do? I can't understand how I could be convicted when the texts are clearly 2 way conversations, not just me texting her, and certainly not me threatening her. I filed restraining orders against her and her live in boyfriend prior to us agreeing to text, but was denied even though they had both come onto our property multiple times and threatened us.
I have every text message between us, video of them threatening us, and proof that the charge against me is bogus. I plan to talk to other lawyers, but I wanted several opinions. I just want these people to leave us alone. We can't afford to move, which is what the lawyer I met with today told me to do. I know that's the best option but we just financially aren't there. What can I charge my neighbors with, and how can I defend myself in court? They shine flashlights in our windows, wait for us to get home and try to intimidate us, and though I have no proof, my dogs are now pooping blood, and a veterinarian confirmed it wasn't due to any illness they could have contracted. I suspect they're throwing things in our yard to harm our dogs. I'm at my wit's end.
I suggest you have an attorney help you with your defense.

I imagine a judge will issue a mutual restraining order where neither of you are allowed to have any contact with the other.

Good luck.

LdiJ

And in the meantime, keep your dogs inside and walk them to give them the opportunity to relieve themselves. That way no one can harm them.

xylene

If you are broke, you don't need dogs. They are the source of all this drama.

You wanted the last word and while not harrasment, bit you in the butt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">