• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Slandered Me to Manager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted761

What is the name of your state?California

I reported my apartment neighbor to the manager for apparent drug activity, and she retaliated, claiming that I approached her in a hostile way. This never happened. I asked a visitor if drugs were being distributed. My actual neighbor was not home when this happened. I am concerned that her lie about me went into a file by my manager, and that this can potentially harm my reputation. I explained the facts to my manager and asked about this, but he didn't answer. I want to know what my rights are. Can I sue my neighbor for slander? Or is there a law which states that my manager has to reveal the content? Thanks.

Ted761

I also want to state something that has always bothered me about this site. I believe this is the site. I once posted a video on the penalty of perjury, but it was removed, not for any violation, but because the Moderator subjectively thought that the participants on the thread were already familiar with the law. We don't know this, but even if true, it should have remained, because no policy or terms of service was violated. People should be able to post information relevant to the subject, without this kind of control from a Moderator. Again, I believe this was the site, but I am not completely certain.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I reported my apartment neighbor to the manager for apparent drug activity, and she retaliated, claiming that I approached her in a hostile way. This never happened. I asked a visitor if drugs were being distributed. My actual neighbor was not home when this happened. I am concerned that her lie about me went into a file by my manager, and that this can potentially harm my reputation. I explained the facts to my manager and asked about this, but he didn't answer. I want to know what my rights are. Can I sue my neighbor for slander? Or is there a law which states that my manager has to reveal the content? Thanks.
You could sue for slander. And your neighbor can sue you. Apparent drug activity? Based upon what evidence? If you can't prove the truth of what you said, that could be considered defamation per se because you accused her of a crime. You have no evidence stating that she said anything defamatory.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I also want to state something that has always bothered me about this site. I believe this is the site. I once posted a video on the penalty of perjury, but it was removed, not for any violation, but because the Moderator subjectively thought that the participants on the thread were already familiar with the law. We don't know this, but even if true, it should have remained, because no policy or terms of service was violated. People should be able to post information relevant to the subject, without this kind of control from a Moderator. Again, I believe this was the site, but I am not completely certain.
The moderator can remove anything they desire from this site. This is a privately own site.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

That is not slander - that is an opinion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You said exactly the same thing about this other site. So which one was it?

quincy

First, to address your complaint about the removal of the link in your previous thread: Links are routinely removed by the moderator if they are commercial links. Your link on “perjury” was from an attorney’s website.

If you read through your previous thread, information on defamation law was provided to you there. Here again is a link to California’s jury instructions for defamation claims:

https://www.justia.com/trials-litigation/docs/caci/1700/

You do not appear to have any defamation claim to pursue against your neighbor. The neighbor could arguably have one to consider against you.

zddoodah

I want to know what my rights are.
Like every other person, you have dozens of legal rights. It would serve no useful purpose to create a list.

Can I sue my neighbor for slander?
Anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, your neighbor's assertion that you "approached her in a hostile way" is not actionable slander for multiple reasons. Slander is a false statement of fact, not opinion, that is "published" (i.e., disseminated) to at least one person other than the subject of the statement, and which has the tendency to harm the subject's reputation and which, in most cases, causes actual, financial damage. Your neighbor's statement is a vague statement of opinion, and you didn't mention any damages.

is there a law which states that my manager has to reveal the content?
The content of what? If you're asking whether some law compels your apartment complex manager to tell you what the neighbor said, the answer is no.

quincy

“Ted761” (aka Razzbo) has been asking about defamation laws on this forum (and on other forums) since at least 2015. He for some reason seems incapable of reading and understanding the information on defamation that has been previously provided him.

What I recommend Ted761 do now is sit down with an attorney in his area who is well-versed in defamation law. Perhaps if Ted761 is paying for this information and advice he will better be able to process it.

Ted761

You have no evidence stating that she said anything defamatory.
That's not true. My manager told me what she said. I never approached her in any way, let alone in a hostile way. I directed my manager to the evidence contained in the video camera footage outside. It won't show that I ever approached her. I stood in side my apartment and opened the door, but the security door remained closed, and I asked a visitor (not my neighbor), if they were dealing drugs. A few minutes later my actual neighbor drove-up in a truck, entered her unit, and then came pounding on my door to answer for the allegation. A woman staying with her related to her the incident. All the evidence shows that it was my neighbor who approached me in a hostile way. There is absolutely no evidence that I ever approached her, let a lone in a hostile way. She completely twisted this event and lied about me to my manager. I have the evidence from my manager himself.

quincy

That's not true. My manager told me what she said. I never approached her in any way, let alone in a hostile way. I directed my manager to the evidence contained in the video camera footage outside. It won't show that I ever approached her. I stood in side my apartment and opened the door, but the security door remained closed, and I asked a visitor (not my neighbor), if they were dealing drugs. A few minutes later my actual neighbor drove-up in a truck, entered her unit, and then came pounding on my door to answer for the allegation. A woman staying with her related to her the incident. All the evidence shows that it was my neighbor who approached me in a hostile way. There is absolutely no evidence that I ever approached her, let a lone in a hostile way. She completely twisted this event and lied about me to my manager. I have the evidence from my manager himself.
Regardless, it’s still not defamation on the part of your neighbor. Not all lies are defamatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">