• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors cleared our land and building a driveway....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AKPanda

This is in Alaska.

When we bought our house, our neighbors on one side made it clear that they were going to put an offer on it and we just did it sooner.
We bought the house because it was private, and secluded, and then a couple years after we move in (in 2008), they came into a LOT of money, and decided to build a 2nd house on their property (I don't even think they got permits for that). In the process, taking away EVERY little bit of privacy we had. They not only BUILT the house but made sure it was FACING our property and yard, so we now have 0 privacy. Their kid will stand at the edge of the driveway and take pictures of my little children! It's disturbing! And a few months ago the "wife" came down to the house and told my husband we should MOVE.!?!?!

We no longer speak to them, but I was recently going over the paperwork from when we bought or house, and it came to my attention that they built the driveway to their new house partly on OUR LAND (at LEAST a few feet all the way down the length of it).!!! I don't CARE what they do with their land, but they ripped out all the trees and now there is nothing between our house and theirs.!!!!
WHAT can I do about it.??? I want my trees back.!!!
Can I SUE them and try to get some compensation to plant some trees ourselves?
Can I somehow FORCE them to plant LARGE trees between the properties to try to gain my privacy back?
How long do I have to take action?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

FarmerJ

You would have to have a current survey that also includes something to show the boundry infringment when you see a atty to learn what it may cost you to force them to make that driveway wider so its all on their lot. but know this , it could be expensive and I agree with Gail money might be better spent on fencing once you know what the rules for fencing are in your area and have a clear picture of where your lots boundrys are. As to if the nbr had a permit or not then I would say your county/ local govt center zoning desk should be able to tell you what the permit requirements are and if permits were needed for that second home or say its sewage system and if any were filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">