• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's dog chasing horse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MAIZIE

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? IA

I want to know what my rights are involving the neighbors dog coming unto my property and chasing my horse. This will eventually be a dangerous situation...dog will get kicked by my horse and/or horse will run through fence unto highway and get killed. I have talked to them about this, but they seem to be totally oblivious to the matter at hand. We both own our properties, so no rental/tenant issues here. Appreciate your advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MAIZIE said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? IA

I want to know what my rights are involving the neighbors dog coming unto my property and chasing my horse. This will eventually be a dangerous situation...dog will get kicked by my horse and/or horse will run through fence unto highway and get killed. I have talked to them about this, but they seem to be totally oblivious to the matter at hand. We both own our properties, so no rental/tenant issues here. Appreciate your advice.

My response:

Trap the dog and take it unto the Humane Society or other shelter.

IAAL

M

MAIZIE

I know about that option, but it's the mother that is causing the problem. The dog is her kids pet, but she lets it run loose and watches as it chases my horse, just this morning I had to yell at her to get the dog. I'm running out of patience. These people do not know anything about taking care of that dog, if it wasn't for us the dog would have either starved, froze, or get hit by a car by now. Are there any other options for me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MAIZIE said:
I know about that option, but it's the mother that is causing the problem. The dog is her kids pet, but she lets it run loose and watches as it chases my horse, just this morning I had to yell at her to get the dog. I'm running out of patience. These people do not know anything about taking care of that dog, if it wasn't for us the dog would have either starved, froze, or get hit by a car by now. Are there any other options for me?

My response:

What do you mean by "other options"? If you don't like my easy suggestions, then shoot the damn dog!

I mean, damn, lady! I don't care what you do. It's up to you to protect your land and property (the horse) by any means available.

IAAL

M

MAIZIE

Look all I wanted was some advice on how to handle this situation. I will not kill a child's pet, let's be reasonable here. What are my resources for taking care of this situation, does anyone out there know what else I can do, within reason. As far as the mother goes, there are alot of airheads out there and we can't commit them all, can we? We may like to, but we can't, we have to learn how to deal with them.

HomeGuru

MAIZIE said:
Look all I wanted was some advice on how to handle this situation. I will not kill a child's pet, let's be reasonable here. What are my resources for taking care of this situation, does anyone out there know what else I can do, within reason. As far as the mother goes, there are alot of airheads out there and we can't commit them all, can we? We may like to, but we can't, we have to learn how to deal with them.
**A: Oh, the mother is an airhead. Why did you not tell us that in your first post.
With this new information, I change my response. My revised response is to shoot the airhead (with a BB or pellet gun).

M

MAIZIE

Am I on the right forum...Free Advice Forum used by intelligent adults? I resent the fact that you are using my post as a frivolous game between a couple of children. I will go elsewhere. Thanks but no thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MAIZIE said:

My response:

You know lady, between your description of your neighbor and your writings on this thread, I'm beginning to wonder who's the "airhead" between the two of you.

In my first response to you, I gave you a perfectly "reasonable" solution to your problem, and you rejected it. What "other" solution could there POSSIBLY be that could be more REASONABLE to you than I've already suggested? I'm asking you. That's not a rhetorical question.

The longer you take to "mitigate" the dangers, the more responsible you become for any damages to your horse that may be caused.

What is more important to you; her children's "feelings" or the safety of your horse? It's up to you. Decide, or keep whining.

IAAL

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

O.K. I'm going to jump into this fray. Why? Because as IAAL and HG know, I'm the owner of not only three dogs and 24 cats, I also own three racehorse which I jump and train on a 40-acre farm.

I recently had the same problem, and guess what. I shot the dogs in the ass with salt pellets coming from an antique double-barrel.

And guess what again. I haven't seen the dogs again.:D

If you don't do anything then the results are exactly what you get. Nothing.

C

CIAA

It's not my dog.....I don't have a dog....never owned a dog...and if I had a dog I wouldn't be living around a horse...and if I had a dog and was living around a horse my dog wouldn't be chasing a horse. If I owned a dog he wouldn't be chasing a horse he'd be chasing _ _ _ _ _ a cat.

H

hexeliebe

Think again, I have a cat that is 40 lbs and mean as hell....I'd put him up against a dog any day. :D

S

shan tien

If she shoots the dog (with salt pellets or bbs), is she legally liable for animal abuse?

Is there a leash law where you live? You might want to petition the county or city where you live to impose a leash law. We had the same problem where I live and some residents got together and went to the city council meeting about it. There was already a leash law here, but it wasn't being enforced. The city council revised the leash law and put pressure on the police to actively enforce it. That's one suggestion. She could be required to fence her dog if you can get something passed. And if there is already a leash law, she might already be violating it. You could call the cops and see what they say.

I am not an attorney, by the way. I just happened to see the kind of responses you were getting and I felt sorry that no one responded with a reasonable solution to your problem.

H

hexeliebe

If she shoots the dog (with salt pellets or bbs), is she legally liable for animal abuse?
No, since she has every right to protect herself and to mitigate any damages the dogs may cause by scaring the horse and causing the horse to dispose of her on the ground.

In other words, once the dogs cross her property line and cause a dangerous situation, this poster has every right to take action to protect herself.

As for lease laws, how much would you like to bet she lives in a county, not city, and the county has no jurisdiction to impose a lease law.

My answer stands unedited. Why? Because I live in the same situation and have used my solution to end the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">