• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's dog chasing horse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shan tien said:

I felt sorry that no one responded with a reasonable solution to your problem.

===============================

My response:

Oh really?

Then what do you call my response to her where I said, "Trap the dog and take it to an animal shelter or Humane Society"?

IAAL

S

shan tien

What happens to the dog once it goes to the humane society?

Do the owners get to retreive the dog once it's there?

And if they don't, does the humane society then have to find another home for the dog? I worry about the dog being disposed of if they can't find the home.

When I said "reasonable" I meant that I thought this was a legal advice board. If shooting the dof is the only legal option, then I guess that is legal advice. I'm just surprised that there is nothing else that can be done.

I was just trying to think of a way to protect the horse without harming the dog. No offense about the humane society thing, but I like to avoid the humane society at all costs. It is a good idea, and so were the salt pellets. Here's another idea. If you just fire blanks or another loud noise that just scares the dog every time he gets near the horse.

Wildlife Officers have used this tactic to keep bears out of the road: They shoot the bear once with a loud gun and a pellet. Then they watch for it again. If it comes back, they just fire a loud device. I don't think it's a gun they use for the noise. I can't remember. But the bears associate the noise with the pellet and run every time they hear it. Eventually they never go near the road again out of fear. So maybe she doesn't have to shoot the dog every time.

I did used to train animals for a living. So I do know about that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shan tien said:
What happens to the dog once it goes to the humane society?

Do the owners get to retreive the dog once it's there?

And if they don't, does the humane society then have to find another home for the dog? I worry about the dog being disposed of if they can't find the home.

When I said "reasonable" I meant that I thought this was a legal advice board. If shooting the dof is the only legal option, then I guess that is legal advice. I'm just surprised that there is nothing else that can be done.

I was just trying to think of a way to protect the horse without harming the dog. No offense about the humane society thing, but I like to avoid the humane society at all costs. It is a good idea, and so were the salt pellets. Here's another idea. If you just fire blanks or another loud noise that just scares the dog every time he gets near the horse.

Wildlife Officers have used this tactic to keep bears out of the road: They shoot the bear once with a loud gun and a pellet. Then they watch for it again. If it comes back, they just fire a loud device. I don't think it's a gun they use for the noise. I can't remember. But the bears associate the noise with the pellet and run every time they hear it. Eventually they never go near the road again out of fear. So maybe she doesn't have to shoot the dog every time.

I did used to train animals for a living. So I do know about that.

My response:

The Humane Society doesn't kill animals. They are housed until responsible people take them, or they live their lives there in a protected environment. I wasn't talking about the "Dog Pound" where animals are euthanized.

You said - -

"If you just fire blanks or another loud noise that just scares the dog every time he gets near the horse."

Are you nuts? You don't shoot a rifle, shotgun or other handgun around a horse. Our writer is trying to keep her horse from being harmed, and loud noises spook horses, causing them to run and perhaps harm themselves when they jump over fences and into roadways.

You're really not reading too well, or even closely - - and you're writing irresponsible ideas. Shooting a gun near a horse - - kinda stupid when you think about it.

IAAL

S

shan tien

It's odd that you would say that the humane society doesn't euthanize animals. Maybe not all of them do. In Orlando, where I used to live, they told me that they euthanize kittens if they don't find a home within 3 weeks, and adult cats have 2 weeks. I don't know their policy on dogs.

When I moved here, I found a stray dog. I was worried that it may be owned by someone and be lost. I thought that if I lost a dog, the first place I'd look for it is at the humane society. I called them and asked about it. The humane society in my town is run by the local vet and his wife. She said that people rarely ever call them for their lost dogs. I asked what would happen if the owner doesn't call. She said they'd try to find it a home. I asked what would happen if they couldn't find a home for it. She said they put them down after about a month.

If there are human societies that don't euthanize their animals, then I have never encountered one. In fact, a lot of nonprofit organizations are out there that "rescue" animals from humane societies before they're put to sleep. I used to be involved in an organization that spays and neuters ferrel cats. The reason we didn't just take them to the humane society is because in large cities the odds are that the cats will be euthanized. I would check on it before just taking an animal to one.

I don't know anything about horses at all. I never pretended to. I just know that several people around my house own horses, and people are always firing guns. Those people must be really inconsiderate neighbors. Then look at the old west movies where people fire guns around horses like it's nothing. All I know about horses is what I've seen in movies.

I have a question on this matter, though. If a dog is running loose on my property, but not really harming anything, can I shoot at it to keep it off of my property? I only ask because of one particular dog that chases a little cat that uses an area under my house as a hideout. The cat isn't mine, so I can't say it's harming MY property. Most of the dogs around here don't bother her.

M

MAIZIE

I said I would go elsewhere but I kept reading all the posts, very interesting. The problem is the word 'kill' here, this is a very emotional subject with most people including myself. I do live in the county where there is no lease law, but I do have the right to shoot the dog if she is on my property chasing the horse. When she does this it becomes a dangerous situation as I stated before. What I have done is put my camera by the front door facing the pasture so I can take pictures if she should chase my horse again. This way I have evidence to show the county sheriff's deputy when I call him. If this happens, I will make sure the dog will go to a no-kill shelter and I will want the owner reprimanded in some way. I won't let the deputy shoot the dog, as that is what he will want to do. I am a decent person and a good neighbor, that is why I asked for advice. I have made a decision and now the posts can end. Thank you everyone.

H

hexeliebe

See mazie? That's all we were talking about. YOu finally decided on a course of action and now you're implementing it.

That's all anyone can do.

The reason I use salt by the way is the dogs remember it :D and it doesn't harm the animal.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MAIZIE said:

I have made a decision and now the posts can end.

============================

My response:

Sorry, but the posts don't "end" until I say they end.

Okay, they end - - now (subject to change without notice; one size fits all; no warranties, express or implied; batteries not included; no refunds - exchanges only; money-back guaranty!; I love a parade; handle with care; do not shake; and, of course, rinse and repeat).

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">