• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Manufactured Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joplusann

We live in Arizona, purchased a new manufactured home in Nov.of 1999. We gave a large downpayment in Dec. of 1999. Our house was not set in the ground until the end of July 2000. We moved in to the house in Aug. of 2000. We have had nothing but problems with the house and the dealer. It is apparent to us now that he lied to us or just did not give us enough information regarding our house. We have spent many hours along with emotional grief to try and get our home repaired. We did contact the AZ Dept. of Manufactured Housing and with their help have had most of the work completed. However, some of the work was not completed by the date the Dept. of Housing set which was Nov. 30, 2000. We wonder if we have any sort of case to make against the retailer who should have been responsible for seeing to our home being in good order. The salesman who sold us the house quit when all of this starting hitting the fan, so we know that there was some sort of dishonesty going on at the dealership along with mistakes. When last we heard from the Dept. of Manufactured Housing they did mention the possibility that we might need our own attorney. My husband and I are on Social Security and would have a difficult time with attorney's fees. We feel that the dealer should be made accountable for all that has occurred due to his and the manufacturers mistakes and shortcomings. Would appreciate any help someone may be able to give us. Thank you

C

Cygnet

What kinds of problems are you having?

Mobiles are prone to certain problems due to settling --
i.e., doors sticking, or not latching properly, etc. I close on a home (in AZ, incidently) Monday or Tuesday and was warned by the dealer that I could expect doors that don't shut properly and to let him know if I had any problems and they'd fix them. Also, the quality control isn't the greatest -- you get what you pay for.

For a home to take *that* long to *BUILD* is ridiculous, however, unless there's some kind of extenuating circumstance with the paperwork. I orded my home 10/23, signed the title mid November, building permit was granted 11/23/00, house was on the lot the next day, they started work that Monday, and my home should be finished next Monday (12/10/00.) Takes 'em 10 days to build one in the factory and about a week to do the work on the lot. I plan to start moving in next Saturday so that's what, seven weeks from start to finish?

J

joplusann

Trouble we encountered

From Nov, 1999 until July,2000, we were told by the dealer that the park we were going to have our house placed would be ready in 2 weeks, which never happened until July. Truthfully we were stupid and should have backed out altogether, but were excited about the house we selected and the 55+ park. The owner of the park says he had problems with permits from the town we are in and that is what took so long. Unfortunately none of this was told to us by the dealer. They had us sign papers with our large deposit, supposedly without a date, well being very naive we believed this only to be charged for real estate taxes from February, 2000, and having our mortgage payments start from April of 2000. There was absolutely nothing in the park except dirt. We did personally fight this and did get the dealer to pay for this until we moved in. The insurance for the house was also dated from February and we had that changed to August. There has been more. Now the house, the hot and cold water was put in backwards, it took service people 4 times to reverse it so that the cold was on the left and the hot on the right. We selected an all gas house, received an electric water heater and an electric dryer. We decided to keep the hot water heater, but definitely wanted the electric dryer switched to a gas one. Due to hud this was a whole deal about the dealer sending a plumber to estimate the cost of changing the electric to gas and then giving us a check and then we could have the conversion done and then get a new washer & dryer. I would not accept one without the other. We were also supposed to get a screen door for our front door, we were given one that looked like it had been used in at least 10 other homes, it was bent, filthy dirty and would not shut. We called the person who installed it, who had been sent by the dealer, and he told us to take it up with the state, which we did. We have since received a new door that had been properly wrapped in plastic. We have had at least 36 things go wrong, were told by the service people that the only things that might occur after approximately 6 months of the house settling would be cracks in the walls and the possibility of the floors squeaking which has also happened. We also were never informed about the additional charges from the park, nor were we honestly told what the real estate taxes would be. This was our first time at buying a manufactured home and probably the last. I do not like the fact that this company completely separates the retailer from the manufacturer and one will not do what supposedly is the others problem. We are going to continue to see to it that this dealer gets what he deserves, or as they say what goes around comes around. Would like hearing from all of you again, and suggest you ask all sorts of questions and research thoroughly the dealership you are using. We are going to report him to the better business bureau. We will do more research as has been suggested, on the other sites. Thank you for your input so far. The air conditioner had to be moved 3 times before it was placed correctly. We had asked for a wall not to be put in and of course it was, that was also a very bad circumstance, and we were supposed to have had electric in our shed and that was not done either, and so on. I can continue but it would take 4 more pages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">